Big ESP32 / SX127x topic part 1

That means, Pin21/22 are connected?

21 RFI_HF (GND) I (-) RF input for band 1 (Ground)
22 RFO_HF (GND) O (-) RF output for band 1 (Ground)

The code is currently skeleton-like and it would cause licence issues if i would post it here. Sorry…

I also have NO idea how to test. I figured that because I was able to get 500 meters reach in combination with a single channel gateway, it should be OK. Would it be able to do that if the aerial is connected to the wrong output?

@Verkehrsrot what is your node battery life with your 500mAh battery? How much are your transmitting?

Do you have the TTGO V1 or V2?

One way to do this is to add a GPS device to the Heltec, and send GPS data.
When the data gets to the backend, you can compare the GPS co-ords to the signal strength and time and store the data appropriately (perhaps via cloud MQTT / cloud MongoDB?) .
You could also set up “node red” to do this and display signal traces as lines via google maps.
You could put the device in your car and just drive around your area to collect the data.
These links should help

*edit - added from Nic’s post (267)! https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/labs/story/heltec-lorawan-gps-quick-start1

Others
https://ttnmapper.org/faq.php
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/has-anyone-tried-sending-gps-coords-to-ttn/8280/7

I’m working on reducing power consumption by modification of the software. Since i use the Wifi monitor mode continuosly for my application, power consumption is high. In this mode the Wifi modem is running all the time and consumes by far the most energy, around 100mA.

Consumption of the complete unit, including display and LoRaWAN transmit (in test version a few bytes all 240 seconds, what probably is beyond TTN policy) is actually ~680mW.

In the small case i’m using a 3,7V/500mAh Li Ion cell, so has 1,85Wh. In this configuration the unit should run 2-3 hours on battery.

Far away from a low power application, but Wifi MAC sniffing never is a low power application. My goal is to bring the unit below 500mW and i will add a 18650 cell, then it should run around 15 hours on battery - enough to track a full daylight day.

Paxcounter

2 Likes

sx-1
The rang issue can be solved.
The LILIGO seller contacted us abot this . There was a factory issue (see red arrows)
it you take care not to damage the display you can solve the range issue yourself

1 Like

So it’s a soldering problem where the two red arrows are?

1 Like

If you are looking to add GPS to the ESP32 LoRa boards, this might help; I posted this last night - https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/labs/story/heltec-lorawan-gps-quick-start

2 Likes

This board looks like the smd components would have been placed manually, by hand.
Poor quality. But is also labelled “Heltec Automation”. The question ist, who designed the original, and where is a reliable source for originals? Seems to be the typical problem when sourcing from China?

@ccadic - I don’t quite understand - what is the issue? trace missing? bad soldering? I think I can see the same thing on my board, but not sure what the issue is, so don’t know what the solution is :smiley:

Take a closer look at the placements of some smd parts on the pcb.

Got it… so we need to get those two components attached properly - so dab of solder where the the yellow boxes are in my photo? (right?)
Someone else mentioned a problem with C22? Is this the same thing? (this looks like 2 problems, not just the one mentioned by David in the facebook group!)

The capacitor (or resistor?) near the 26 MHz crystal looks weird, too.
The whole pcb is of poor quality, this is not industrial quality level. I wouldn’t waste time trying to use it. But where to get better ones?

3 Likes

Nice writeup! Made the same with the ttgo with lpp and Ssd1306 libraries. Took me some time to reroute the serialgps to other pins because ttgo uses this pin for oled reset.

Good enough for prototyping? If you want to roll out industrially, then get your own PCB with the ESP32 + SX1276 designed I’d reckon! (and go get type approval in your country so it’s legal too!)

1 Like

Will have a look if the resistors on my module are misplaced… If so have to get a steady hand for resoldering.

@mrme Is this possible that you share this? I also have a ttgo, and want to use lpp too.

Thanks!

Maybe we should design and produce our own PCB based on a non profit basis

3 Likes