How to upgrade RN2483 in TTUNO?

Hello,

I am facing a big issue trying to upgrade the firmware of the RN2483 from 0.9.5 to 1.0 or greater, however I have spent a lot to time fiddling with the Lora.jar tool given in this tutorial , which is the same that in the official post of TTUNO.

None of those methods seem to work, so I would appreciate any other way to be able to update the firmware. I’ve told to use a PICKIT3 but I don’t know how to connect it to the chipset within the UNO since not all the pins of RN2483 are available without soldering ( which I rather not do).

Could someone help me out?

Thank you very much!!!

Which revision TTUNO do you have? (Should be listed on the back)

Hi @kersing

I have the version 4 (v4 868MHZ) , is there a better way to upgrade for that version?

Regards

Hi @kersing

I got a PICKIT3, after looking the schema that you provided I was wondering, if the following connections are the correct ones

**Pickit 3 pin**                                        **RN2843**
GND       <---------------------------------------->      GND
Pin 1(MCLR/Vpp)<------------------------------------>     RESET
Pin 2 (Target Vdd)<--------------------------------->     Vcc(3.3V)
Pin 5(PGC/ICSPCLK)<--------------------------------->     TEST0
Pin 4(PGD/ICSDAT)<---------------------------------->     TEST1 

In the same way, does the TTUno have to be reset? (just by connecting its HW reset to ground)

Thanks in advance,

did you contacted http://www.tweetonig.nl/ ? however i’m not sure they offer support on their design.

1. Why do you ask the same question in multiple threads?

2. You need (as pointed out in the other thread) to connect GND (PICkit) to GND (UNO) to provide a common signal ground.

3. It will not hurt to force the Uno in reset mode. Just connect the reset input of the UNO to ground with a wire while upgrading.

4. The UNO needs to be powered as @JDP mentions.

With that version you have a chance the update will work. Version 5 has a capacitor connected to the RN2483 reset pin which makes it impossible to use PICkit3 to program the module.

Quoting the PICkit3 documentation:
Do not use capacitors on MCLR: they will prevent fast transitions of VPP.

Hi @BoRRoZ

No I did not, maybe is it another option to do

Because I am trying to gather as much info as possible to upgrade the device, and since it seems to be scattered around the forum, I ask that much

I did so, I connected Pickit to GND and Pickit reset to the reset in the UNO, I connected as well Vdd from Pickit to the 3.3V in uno, otherwise the Pickit won’t detect that signal and it won’t allow flashing the device.

I reset the UNO using its ICSP connector GND and Vcc

It was powered with usb, I measured the pins and I had 3.3V

After doing all that, connecting TEST0 and TEST1 to the pickit, the device was not loaded at all. I only got Address: 300006 Expected Value: 80 Received Value: 0 error while trying to flash, of course, the flash was not carried out…

PICkit should be connected to the RN2483 reset, not UNO reset.
Uno reset should be connected to ground.

Thanks @kersing

I did that as well, I had a “DIY” cable for the RESET,TEST1 and TEST0 pins, having connected Uno reset to GND, but in the ISCP pins, which I assume is the same that the other one rigth?

By the way, is my connection of PGC and PGD correct?

Sounds like you tried the right pins, did you solder the connections or just touch wires to the ‘pins’ of the RN? When touching wires it might take a couple of attempts to get it right. Also, make sure the wires from the PICkit to the RN module do not exceed 6 cm.

I have tried this morning again, I couldn’t flash it even though I have connected everything as told…

**Pickit 3 pin**                                        **RN2843**
GND       <---------------------------------------->      GND(TTUNO GND)
Pin 1(MCLR/Vpp)<------------------------------------>     RESET
Pin 2 (Target Vdd)<--------------------------------->     Vcc(TTUNO 3.3V)
Pin 5(PGC/ICSPCLK)<--------------------------------->     TEST0
Pin 4(PGD/ICSDAT)<---------------------------------->     TEST1

I connected GND pint in TTUno to the RST pin in the TTUNO as shown

I got this error( as I was having it before)

2016-10-07 08:23:50 +0200 - Completed loading IPE.

Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.44.26
Firmware type..............PIC18F

Target voltage detected
Target Device ID (0x0) is an Invalid Device ID. Please check your connections to the Target Device.

2016-10-07 08:30:52 +0200 - Programming...

Device Erased...

Programming...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0xffff
configuration memory
EEData memory
User Id Memory
configuration memory
Address: 300006 Expected Value: 80 Received Value: 0
Failed to program device
2016-10-07 08:31:10 +0200 - Programming failed
Pass Count: 1

Hi @BoRRoZ

I contacted the people of tweetoning, they suggested me to come to TTN forums XD

LOL … hope they can help you then here :wink:

Have you checked there is no short circuit between the pins? I would at least use a piece of paper to make sure there is no short between the ‘header’ and the RN module. (Fold 1 mm to make sure it ‘protects’ the side of the RN module)
On the picture it looks like the reset line might be shorting to ground.