Mini Lora Node

Correct, @arjanvanb that should be a little thing. ADR would be a bit more work. I wonder what KPN’s position is. On the one hand they would like maximum use of ADR since it optimizes their network capacity, on the other hand they themselves advise to switch ADR off for certain types of applications (like the non-stationary ones).

On my personal to-do list: I’d like to implement the MAC command LinkCheckReq in which the node can ask the network for the link budget. That would allow me to set SF and output power for a conservative link budget and thus save network capacity in a similar way to ADR. Do you know if there are any reference implementations that include this MAC commmand?

Very interesting, I’d like to try one for fun
I already got Mini Lora, may by Tiny Lora would be more appropriate for this one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
you’re talking about small cell, what kind do you think about ? CR2032 or CR2450 ?

We’ve decided on the pricing:

• PCB-only €6,95 including worldwide shipping. € 4,99 for 10 pieces and upward
  • Fully equipped € 21,95 including worldwide shipping, € 19,99 for 10 pieced and upward, including registered worldwide shipping

as its getting ‘commercial’ I suggest you put your product placements here :slight_smile:

Hi @Charles, we have an application that does nothing more then send a few bytes to the network four times a day with SF12 and max power, that uses a Renata CR2430. I think it is 285 mAhr. We have calculated that it can run for 3 years. If you can use the deep sleep mode on the ATtiny with an external interrupt (like a door contact) you can go even a factor 4 longer!

1 Like

If a fixed data rate is required, then SF10 would be better; hardcoding SF11 and SF12 is not allowed on a public LoRaWAN network, and you might get you a message from TTN on day. :wink:

Is any part of this CE and LoraWAN (pre)certified? It looks interesting for some of our use cases, but I don’t want our users to have to go through the whole certification process themselves :worried: .

@arjanvanb in fact for geolocation purposes KPN advises to send at SF12 with ADR off! They will probably come back from this statement when they have more traffic in their network :slight_smile:

@Epyon No, this device is not certified. The RFM95 in itself is not certified, and it probably never will because it does not have the LoraWan stack on-board as the RN2483 has. So your own software needs to implement those features that are required for certification.
I don’t know in which country you are planning to use your nodes, and certification requirements may differ from operator to operator. For the Netherlands, KPN allows uncertified devices in the network as long as the series are small ( < 100).

Hmmm, where can I complain about that…

(On the other hand, if I understand correctly, then SFx won’t interfere with SFy, so maybe I don’t actually care…)

I am confused as you wrote me nearly at the same time via mail that you have no product available and you are still in the development phase.

@SunCobalt, this mini Lora board as presented in this thread is ready and available, but it has never been our prime goal to bring this to the market. We have many requests for simple applications, so we developed this mini board as a building block mainly for our own R&D. So if you are looking for a readily available product with for instance a magnetic switch that you can mount on your window or door: we are working on that but there is a long way from prototype to product in the shop

1 Like

Nice product.

And what about the code ? Will you share your custom lorawan stack for ATTiny ? I think many people can be interested (and me too :slight_smile: ).

Wow I love the cleanlyness of this one.
I would be very happy if your software could be downloaded. Your implementation looks so much cleaner compared to what we did in the Junior IOT Challenge…!
Only if we could add GPS with libraries.

What about one i2c channel to talk to various sensors at the same time?

Oh, please apply one hole to the antenna pad so we can insert and solder one of those cheap curled wire antennas. In our balloon flight we used these and achieved a 350km+ distance. Very minimalistic at 15 cents each and good enough.

1 Like

The antenna pad is 5 mm long. You can easily solder the end of a wire or a helical antenna to the pad.

Is the source code public?

Dear rharte ,
Does the mini Lora connect over abp or otaa ?

pls contact the manufacturer direct
http://www.iot-partners.nl/#over