Pro mini / RFM95w examples for different sensors

Just wanted to drop a “Thank you!” as well @douglarue for the design, i am building atm a TTN Mapper Node based on your PCB (and Franks Workshop):

4 Likes

COMBO: Promini + RFM95W.

3 Likes

Cool, what kind of pcb is this?

1 Like

In case anyone wants to generate their own PCB based on what I’d done with the ProMini, I posted the KiCAD files on my github repo:

And thanks @galagaking1 for the ‘thanks’ and not about using the board for workshops. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@anucha, this seems a really clever minimal size PCB “RF Bridge” solution! :trophy:
can you share more info on it?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: BIG product placement allowed topic

Is it be possible to use this HW with OTAA authentication method? If it can, please point me to the howto?

Somsak

I’d be interested to know as well, have got ABP working well but having troubles getting OTAA working

I believe @galagaking1 found a somewhat dirty but very usable solution.

Hi Paul, look at https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/labs/story/creating-a-ttn-node (software section) for some tips about OTAA including the dirty fix mentioned by @TijnOnlijn

Guys,

Is dirty hack is to change lines ?

setDrJoin(DRCHG_SET, DR_SF7);

to:

setDrJoin(DRCHG_SET, DR_SF9);

@Charles: check. Did a lot of experiments, and this worked best for me (and the workshop attendees).

Unfortunately still didn’t work for me, but I think my problem has more to do with trying to get it to work with Australian frequencies, I’m sure if it had the chance, mine would join with no problems.

Had success with ABP and downlinks today

Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul, beware that the OTAA needs a return channel/receiving so proper DIO settings are needed. Try sending data to your ABP node is a good test here. Cheers Frank

@galagaking1
thanks for the answer, interesting, I’ll try this one also.

I also used LMIC_setClockError that saved me lot of time :wink:

// LMIC init
  os_init();

// Reset the MAC state. Session and pending data transfers will be discarded.
  LMIC_reset();

// Enable data rate adaptation
  LMIC_setAdrMode(1);

// Increase RX1 Windows by 1% in case of clock error on board (crystal shift)
  // This clearly increase son OTAA Join request to works first time even with SF7
  LMIC_setClockError(MAX_CLOCK_ERROR * 1 / 100);

// Join the network, sending will be
  // started after the event "Joined"
  LMIC_startJoining();
1 Like

Yeah I have ABP working for me from the start, uplink and now downlink but still no joy with OTAA :frowning:

@Charles has mentioned before that DEV EUI MSB-LSB sequence is usually the problem when your OTAA is not working. Whatever you see on the TTN dashboard, it should be the reverse. Mine work after that.

yeah thanks, have checked that a million times as well.

Thought it might be something simple, but my lack in knowledge when messing with the frequency plans is probably the problem.

Symptoms are that it doesn’t try to join on the correct frequencies - about one in 8 times it will start to join as it hits channel 63, but the sub band setting, there is something going wrong there.

What really confuses me is that ABP joins and stays on the correct frequencies without a hitch, whereas OTAA trys to join outside the sub-band that my gateways are set on.

Is there a configuration within the LMIC library that I should be tweaking to get this to work?

regards
Paul

Hi douglarue, do you connect the RFM DIO4 to …6 connect to a separate output plug, or to the Pro Mini pins? I cannot see that from the schematic.

ok, found the answer from KiCad pcb: RFM95 pins to Pro Mini pins