The hard RAK831 cafe part 1

@mrTheWheel >> https://www.hackster.io/naresh-krish/getting-started-with-the-rak-831-lora-gateway-and-rpi3-e3351d?

Does this mean you are the first to have a working interface PCB for the RAK831 + Pi (well in Europe at least)?
Do you intend to sell these as I have a RAK board somewhere between Asia and Ireland as I type…

Looks neat, good work.

Thx, G

Wuhu

6 Likes

Do you think it is feasible to port packet forwarder to ESP8266 or even better some small ARM Cortex M3/M4?

Technically it’s perfectly possible. There already has been some discussion on the subject, I think in the TTN gateway thread. However no-one actually bothered to invest time in it because you can buy €9 miniature Raspberry Pi clones that do the job just as well.

The official TTN gateway will use a PIC32 and afaik they will release the firmware under an open-source license. The chip is quite expensive in single quantities though.

ping @x893-00 about POSIX use to port Packet Forwarder to a STM32

1 Like

@jezd
Thanks for your reply.

For me, this is where the confusion continuous. The blog you suggest uses “https://github.com/ttn-zh/ic880a-gateway.git” and it has some strange remote config repository whilst the option @Epyon suggests does not have that at all.

I copied the TTN Packet Forwarder binary to my RPi and that seems to work (I have not received my RAK831 yet, so not really sure…)

Still: thanks again!

@GryKyo
I’m not the first to have a PCB, Kilobyte had boards days ago, but as I got a RAK831 early on I’m one of the first with a tested board.

I have a limited number of boards available for sale @ 4.50 euro plus postage (just PCB, no connectors).

Later this week I will put the design files somewhere public so anyone can download them and order their own board(s) at a PCB house. (Cheap PCBs == a couple of weeks wait time, faster == more expensive)

3 Likes

That would be strange as a packet forwarder generally requires a concentrator and the packet forwarders I know abort when no concentrator is available.

1 Like

@kersing is correct, no concentrator, no packet forwarder, and more than that, packet forwarder relies on low level SPI concentrator library named libloragw

The new TTN forwarder does too. It will exit saying that it ‘failed to start concentrator’. Maybe he just meant he could install it?

@kersing, @Charles, @Epyon,

You are all right. I meant that I do not get a dump file if I try to start it.

This is the output trying to start:

#systemctl status ttn-pkt-fwd
● ttn-pkt-fwd.service - TTN Packet Forwarder Service
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/ttn-pkt-fwd.service; disabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-08-23 11:26:00 CEST; 5s ago
  Process: 16113 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/packet-forwarder start --config="/etc/packet-forwarder/ttn-pkt-fwd.yml" (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 16113 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 23 11:26:00 LoRaGateway systemd[1]: Unit ttn-pkt-fwd.service entered failed state.
#

Now waiting for the delivery of the RAK831!!!

@Charles … what does that mean? I have SPI enabled in the RPi. Do I need to install additional packages?

it means that if the installed software don’t find the right SPI device (rak831 in your case) it won’t work properly

@mrTheWheel
Hi, maybe you forgot to reset RAK831 board through RESET pin wired with RPI GPIO PIN.
I got the same problem like yours, but it was a reset problem.

Looks very interesting/ Are you publish sch/brd files ?

Looks good. Can you publish sch/brd files ?
Thanks

Hi - I agree. I have been running a homebrew gateway with MTAC-LORA and NanoPi Neo for 6 months. Using poly-pkt-fwd.
I was one of the RAK831 beta winners and expect the gateway next week. I would be very interested to try your board. The display I am thinking of using is an E-Ink module for current stats - 250x122 resolution.

Not sure about e-ink for status displays, first they actually need a fair bit of power to change (entire screen needs refreshing) and also if everything crashes or if the power is out the display will still happily retain a valid but misleading status.

1 Like

I got my Gateway tonight.
I’m starting the RPI0W shield right away…
I’ll make 2 versions

1: basic with 0,96" OLED blue screen and GPS L80 or Ublox Max M8 GPS
2: extended with bettery and charger + Solar cell capabilities + Big Oled Screen

If you have suggestions, it is the moment to request features

1 Like