Where to find RN2483 firmware updates

Has somebody found out what to to so that the Java app opens the File Dialog Box?

Since I’m working with a Mac I would like to know if there is a simple program for the Mac which allows me to upload the hex file?

Meanwhile I found this here, but didn’t test it yet:

Hi,
I’m trying to update the firmware of the TTN Node for consumption problem (The Things Node Battery consumption)-
I’m not an experienced user, looking at this interesting thread I try the following steps:

• Connect the TTN node to a workstation (ubuntu 64 bit 17.10) USB port

• Launch the LoRaDevUtility by $ java -jar ./LoRaDevUtility.jar

• The LoRaDevUtility GUI show a “Finding Devices” for about a minute without result

• in the meantime the shell shows:
    Trying to Connect: /dev/ttyACM0
    Connection Successful
    Disconnection Successful
    Tool List Refereshed
    No Server in List

• Next, when I try “Module-Boot Load Recover” from the menu I get
    BootLoadRecovery and after a while it come back to the home GUI.
    In the meantime the shell shows:
    Trying to Connect: /dev/ttyACM0
    Connection Successful
    Tool List Refereshed
    No Server in List
    In Baud Rate Handler
    In Data Bits Handler
    In Stop Bits Handler
    In Parity Handler
    /dev/ttyACM0 Bootloader: v1.02
    In Baud Rate Handler
    FF
    1D
    3C
    FF
    BF
    FF
    0F
    E0
    0F
    READ_VER
    55000000000000000000READ_VER_DONE
    READ_VER
    READ_VER
    READ_VER
    READ_VER
    Trying to Disconnect: /dev/ttyACM0
    Disconnection Successful
    No FED Selected by the user
    In Bootloader Failure

So I imagine the tool is able to connect to the device, but there is some problem to set/get information from it.
Do you have any suggestion about this issue ?
Thanks

try slower speed and how did you connect it ?

I tried both 19200 and 9600 without success …

I connected it from a workstation USB port directly to the miniUSB port on the node

ok… I worked before with that tool but with an rn2483 connected through an usb 2 serial module
that worked … sometimes, on 9600.

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/uploads/default/original/2X/4/4e84d4152c914b6086763f037a5059aec05d9621.jpg

I can imagine that the uart connection between the processor and the rn2483 should be broken to prevent problems during upload

2 Likes

Thanks BoRRoz,
May be is a protection as you imagine, but how could I update firmware to avoid battery drain ?
Is the only way the one with a programming adapter as show in post 8 ?

• hope to find out myself because I will receive same node end of the week

I also hope that in some way it will possible to find something to update the node firmware.

It’s a pitty that a Lora demo device wasn’t able to demonstrate one of the most important features of the technology(in my opinion), the low consumption.
This is my experience till now:
When I bought the Node I have to discover myself that there was some high consumption problem, then I’ve received a suggestion (from Microchip ?) to verify the firmware version (but how ?) because the issue should be solved with the last firmware version.
And now I have to find how to update it with a software tool that sometimes work and often don’t (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yorVpfTO2k&t=123s)
Not really an easy way to get started with a demo device that I imagined was ready to demonstrate the strong point of LoRa …

There are several factors for the powerconsumption in this device.

• the choice of the processor, in this case 32U4
  • the buildin radio module, here the RN2483
  • the software the user uploads
  • possibly the firmware version of the radio module

The firmware java tool is from Semtech and not from TTN, as far as I know there is no dedicated TTN update tool.
I agree that in a perfect world a LoRaWAN node can work up to 10 years on a little battery, in reality that’s not true (understatement)
I hope to come back to this subject when I had the chance to do some more research on TTN’s node.

These nodes are studymaterial, how do you connect a node to the network, how do you program a node ect

* the firmware version could/should be an output from ttn.showStatus();

I agree with you, ten years are probably unreachable, but ten days are really a short time (The Things Node Battery consumption).

The main problem seems that till version 1.0.1 the sleep function doesn’t work fine (The Things Node Battery consumption
1.0.2 Release - Fixed an issue that impacted the current consumed in sleep mode) and for that reason the “simply” firmware update could probably resolve the main problem.

It isn’t. The tool is written to be used with a device where the controller forwards USB data transparently to the RN module, not to talk to an Arduino bootloader.
You need to create a sketch that reads USB serial data and forwards it to the RN module and takes the RN module output and sends it to USB, then you might be able to use this tool to update the firmware.

1 Like

Thanks kersing,
for sure I won’t not able to build this software, but this help me to understand what’ s happening.
I’m afraid I will remain with my old firmware version …

If you have any free Arduino Zero or ESP32 available you can upgrade with this tool and some basic wiring.

2 Likes

Charles do you think is it feasable to update the TTN node through USB only ?
build everything in one sketch

2 Likes

@BoRRoZ, love you question, I wondering if, but not, CPU on node does not have enough flash to handle microchip firmware.

It should be possible with dedicated sketch acting as passthrough between USB and Module, but need to write code on computer side. Amazing we can’t update node Lora RNxxxx firmware easy way :wink:

1 Like

You have to load the “serial passthrough” sketch onto the TTN node to map the serial connection to the RN2483 chip in order to upload the firmware.

I successfully updated “the things node” RN2483 to version 1.0.3. Instructions here: HowTo: Update RN2483 Firmware on ‘The Things Node’ to prevent excessive battery drain

3 Likes

Thanks, really a great work!