New gateway: The Things Indoor Gateway

In my university we recently acquired a couple of real gateways for experiments, but I want one just for personal use at home instead on the single channel I have now. For this use, the price is right :wink:

3 Likes

If a ā€˜non techieā€™ can set this up (just plug in an outlet) and he can buy basic simple sensors and see data on an appā€¦ this opens a whole new 'homeā€™market, range is not that important.
I think its a clever move.

4 Likes

Indeed. All we need now is a TTN app :wink:

noā€¦ TTN could supply a framework for this , someone or some company could write a nice app that non techies can use.

Imagine me, a non techie, So I bought the TIG, together with a ā€˜movement detectorā€™ and 2 tempsensors from SENSORS inc.
(for that to happen they should be available in the future online at a non techie webshop)
I downloaded the free app, scan the code on the sensor boxes and I immediate have a nice menu.
A GUI that shows me the temps from the added sensors in my winecellar and livingroom, and I can set the alarm on/off, and heā€™ā€™ I build this all by myselff !
And later I can add more sensors, like the moisture for my gardenā€¦ an expandable system.
I can even easy share sensor data with my neighbors/friends with that app, post a graph on social media ect.

Something like that :sunglasses: my interpretation,possibly not TTNā€™s

So thatā€™s a whole new and different market ā€¦ the ā€˜homeā€™ market

• class C is here ā€¦ ā€™ hey Google, whatā€™s the temperature on my terrasā€™ and then you get a spoken answer, just talk to your sensors, to the network :wink:
5 Likes

When the sales start on RS, can we buy it also as a private customer ? Or should I contact my work to buy one for me ?

Wienke ā€ @ wienke (https://twitter.com/wienke/status/1093816477088546818)

We are launching a $69 # LoRaWAN 8-channel gateway next week! LoRaWAN network management service is included in the price! Sign up here to be the first to know when and where you can buy it: http://eepurl.com/ggJgEr

4 Likes

Today I have been working in class with the Gemtec gateway combined with a DIY gateway on the roof of our university. It has run perfect. OTAA, downlink, all.

7 Likes

Great to hear!

1 Like

I got one, works like a charm :slight_smile:

Very nice form factor, I think it is at sort of cost price, the real money will be earned with the ICā€™s in the end-devices I guess. This kind of pricing will lower the threshold for people to buy one givng a good boost at the number of TTN (public) gateways.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone might not have any time for it at all or be less interested, they may just send their TTIG to me. :grin:

4 Likes

How do i open the case of the gateway, to apply the USB-C patch?

Safety advice first: Unplug your gateway from any source of power and wait a little bit, in order to avoid an electric shock.

Now start with the disassambly: Top and bottom are covered with grey plastic parts. Each part is fixed with four plastic clips. You can push them in with a thin object, a bend paper clip for instance. Remove both grey covers. Once removed, you can see one small TX5 screw on each side. Remove both screws. The both halves of the gateway are kept together with four clips, two on each side, again. (edit: you can see the clips in post $69 Gemtek Gateway: The Things Indoor Gateway) I used a plectrum and squeezed it into the gap between the halves and used it as a lever to bend-open the four clips. Carefully split the two halves, as they are connected by the wires of the AC/DC converter.

Best thing: If done right, the gateway can be reassembled again.

2 Likes

From Slack:

Khello [Feb 9 2019, 3:35 PM]

Is it possible to connect the things gateway to private TTN

@KrishnaIyerEaswaran2 [Feb 10 2019, 6:09 PM]

With V2 unfortunately no. Itā€™s in the pipeline for V3.

From the official documentation:

• Can connect to any network backend of choice.

So, Iā€™d assume itā€™s all a matter of time.

For those reporting problems with the TIG, please be specific about the region (router) and frequency plan? (So far, Iā€™ve only seen US915 mentioned explicitly?) And whether or not data is still shown in the applications/devices in TTN Console?

This beautiful little thing kind of confuses me. It might have been asked before, but is anyone aware of the reason for the design choice not to add a connector for an external antenna?

It sounds counter intuitive that itā€™s not present. Itā€™s a minor modification and it would drastically increase the capabilities. Or is the business model that every household buys one for their own?

The TABS Gateway was designed as a more or less private Gateway for personal use. Now that the limitations were removed (will be removed for private LNS) the capabilities might get limited by the design with internal PCB-antenna, but it is somehow logical, that this ESP-driven Gateway was never designed for ā€œprofessionalā€ usage scenarios. TIG is to increase indoor coverage and for public outdoor coverage one should use the TOG Gateway with (I guess) more power.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your EUI and whatā€™s the frequency of these disconnections/re-connections?

Iā€™ve no idea, and only based on the word ā€œMUXSā€, just in case it helps: do log lines before that refer to contacting the Configuration and Update Server (CUPS)? The example log on https://doc.sm.tc/station/quick.html shows:

2018-11-09 10:25:54.849 [AIO:INFO]
2018-11-09 10:25:54.893 [TCE:VERB] Connecting to MUXS...
2018-11-09 10:25:55.809 [CUP:INFO] Starting a CUPS session
2018-11-09 10:25:55.810 [CUP:INFO] Connecting to CUPS ... https://s2.sm.tc:7007 (try #1)
2018-11-09 10:25:55.812 [any:INFO] cert. version     : 1
2018-11-09 10:25:55.858 [CUP:VERB] Retrieving update-info from CUPS https://s2.sm.tc:7007...
2018-11-09 10:25:57.092 [TCE:VERB] Connected to MUXS.

So, maybe a bit more context of that (great!) log helps the team. Or maybe not. :slight_smile:

My gateway no longer shows up on TTN. It was working great and stopped connecting about 2 days ago. It is the 915 MHz model and it is located in Atlanta, GA. One interesting thing is that it has always been solid green with sporadic blinks at 4Hz for about 20 seconds then back to solid.
I tried changing the SSID to my other network and it still does the same.

Pieter

There is a thread in the TTN Slack #support channel on this as well.
Do you have any devices trying to connect? I am still seeing join fails from end devices that were working now two days ago when the TIG was working.

1 Like