New gateway: The Things Indoor Gateway

Great Job Krishna ! My TTIG works again !
Thank you very much !

1 Like

Regarding deleting gateways:
I guess this could be added to the FAQ but this is no different from any other EUI based gateway (Ex: Using the semtech UDP packet forwarder).

And the warning on the console while deleting is very unambiguous. There aren’t that many use cases I can think of where you need to re-create a gateway on the network. If it comes down to this, the issue is probably somewhere else along the debug path.

If the TTIG is reset, only the WiFi and the LNS credentials will be deleted. It will retain its EUI and CUPS creds and will contact the CUPS server to obtain the LNS creds once the WiFi if configured.

So reseting it (with the reset button) will not affect your registration of the gateway on the network.

Regards,
Krishna

1 Like

Is there a chance we can use a different name for the update and configuration server? CUPS just causes confusion as it already generally refers to the unix printing server.

Well I wish I could. The Unix Print server is the first thing that I thought about when I started working on this.
But this is part of Semtech’s BasicStation protocol definition(https://doc.sm.tc/station/cupsproto.html) and is not in our hands unfortunately.

1 Like

just to be sure then ’ Can I register / activate a TIG ’ at location A… and then later take it home, plug it in and change only the wifi creds and it works ? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes. That’s exactly how we imagine it being to be used. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Even more: the TIG (or TTIG?) allows for configuring multiple WiFi access points. No need to wipe anything if you still need it at some later time, just configure up to 8 access points. (And be sure not to use Firefox for that until a bug is fixed.)

1 Like

Hi @danico, @SargeAU

Being Australia based as well, I grabbed a US915 TIG at the conference, hoping that it could download the AU915 or AS923 channel plans. Especially as the TIG says that it supports a configuration and update server (CUPS but not for printers!).

So tried it (very briefly) on US915 and it correctly joined and transmitted packets. On AU915 and AS923 it would not join (which makes sense as the channel plan was still US915).

But now the documentation is clear so it looks like waiting a month and a half should do the trick:

Q. I don’t live in Europe or in the US, can I still use the gateway?

Currently, the gateway only supports the EU868 and US915 frequency plans. Near the end of Q1, all frequency plans will be supported.

Thanks to all involved – it looks like a really good development device which just needs a bit of time to venture outside the EU and US.

1 Like

Hi all

We are working on getting the product page live with RS components (it is still in draft as you can see). Once it is finalized, it will be communicated to you guys. Please refrain from spreading false news and rumours based on the draft page.

Thanks.

2 Likes

In the mean time some statistics:

Number of TIGs registered (and public): 343

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.key, .value.frequency_plan, .value.location.latitude, .value.location.longitude, .value.uplink, .value.downlink] |@csv ' | nl

Number of uplinks delivered via TIGs: 2’780’900

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.value.uplink] |@csv ' | tr -d '"' | grep . | paste -s -d+ | bc

Number of downlinks routed via TIGs: 77’247

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.value.downlink] |@csv ' | tr -d '"' | grep . | paste -s -d+ | bc

Busiest TIGs by uplink:

eui-58a0cbfffe8005b2 141624 
eui-58a0cbfffe8004f5 111592 47
eui-58a0cbfffe80048c 107898 
eui-58a0cbfffe8004b8 104489 497
eui-58a0cbfffe80050a 103199 1685

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.key, .value.uplink, .value.downlink] | @csv ' | tr -d '"' | tr , ' ' | sort -nr -k2 | head -n 5

Busiest TIGs by downlink:

eui-58a0cbfffe800359 38865 21484
eui-58a0cbfffe8006b5 15825 4990
eui-58a0cbfffe800627 13600 3873
eui-58a0cbfffe8005b5 21677 3462
eui-58a0cbfffe800697 8381 3045

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.key, .value.uplink, .value.downlink] | @csv ' | tr -d '"' | tr , ' ' | sort -nr -k3 | head -n 5

Uplink load distribution over TIG population

Uplinks
                                     Log-y
   1e+06 +--------------------------------------------------------+   
         |+        +        +         +        +         +       +|   
         |+                                           '-'    A   +|   
  100000 |A+                                                    +-|   
         |AAA                                                    +|   
         |+ AAA                                                  +|   
         |+   AAAAA                                              +|   
   10000 |-+       AAAAAAA                                      +-|   
         |+              AAAAA                                   +|   
         |+                  AAAAA                               +|   
         |                       AAAAAA                           |   
    1000 |-+                          AAAAA                     +-|   
         |+                               AAAAA                  +|   
         |+                                   AAAA               +|   
     100 |-+                                     AAAA           +-|   
         |+                                         AAAA         +|   
         |+                                            AAA       +|   
      10 |-+                                             AA     +-|   
         |+                                               AA     +|   
         |+                                                AA    +|   
         |+        +        +         +        +         +  A    +|   
       1 +--------------------------------------------------------+   
         0         50      100       150      200       250      300  GWidx

Uplinks
                                     Linear
  160000 +--------------------------------------------------------+   
         |         +        +         +        +         +        |   
         |                                            '-'    A    |   
  140000 |-+                                                    +-|   
         |                                                        |   
  120000 |-+                                                    +-|   
         |                                                        |   
         |A                                                       |   
  100000 |A+                                                    +-|   
         |AA                                                      |   
   80000 |-+                                                    +-|   
         | A                                                      |   
         | A                                                      |   
   60000 |-A                                                    +-|   
         |  A                                                     |   
         |  A                                                     |   
   40000 |-+AA                                                  +-|   
         |   AA                                                   |   
   20000 |-+  AAA                                               +-|   
         |      AAAAA                                             |   
         |         +AAAAAAAAAA        +        +         +        |   
       0 +--------------------------------------------------------+   
         0         50      100       150      200       250      300  GWidx

curl -s http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org:8085/api/v2/gateways | jq -c -r '.statuses | to_entries[] | select(.key | contains("eui-58a0cbfffe80")) | [.value.uplink] |@csv ' | tr -d '"' | grep . | sort -nr | gnuplot -p -e "set terminal dumb size 70,25; set logscale y; plot '-'"

7 Likes

Nice!

Maybe those are only EU868? I also see 178 EUIs starting with eui-00001c497b.

Many of those are registered for EU868 as well, but maybe they’re really US915 devices configured for EU868 in TTN Console. (I don’t know how many people got the US915 device when the EU868 was no longer available at the conference.) The EUI surely determines the frequency plan/configuration, so multiple ranges might be expected:

…though it seems the above might only apply to receiving uplinks, as settings in TTN Console affect the frequency for Join Accept downlinks. At least those that are displayed in TTN Console, for a US915 device configured for EU868:

Is there a way to switch network servers? i.e. register this GW on the IoT-in-a-Box network? I imagine you have to unregister from the TTN network first… or?

A few more pics. image image

1 Like

Looks like this is a part of this one:

https://www.cleancss.com/user-manuals/MXF/-WAPS232N

“LBT” = Listen-before-talk?

The module in the FCC documents looks different. Here is the actual concentrator “under the hood” . There is an ICE40 FPGA in the TX path of radio A. image image

Probably yes…note the additional SX1276 - probably used for the ‘Listen’ :wink:

tiginit

wow… smooth install :open_mouth: in 5 minutes

it just… works

tiginit2

2 Likes

Discovered today: If the TIG is powered by USB-C and not by 230V wallplug, it keeps cool.

2 Likes

it doesn’t need the AC-DC part…