Alternative LoRaWAN network-server: loraserver.io

(Pascoual) #61

Thanks, same for me.

Thanks @hexium for your reply.
And of course thanks to @brocaar for these softwares.

Everything is running, just waiting my IMST iC880A to make a real test !

Hi, I'm newbie with LoRa. Congrats on this project. Wondering if this could be installed on a VPS ??
Sorry I'm more Hardware oriented than IT.
Thanks in advance

(Pascoual) #63

On any server. You just need your gateway to be able to get a connection on it (default port 1700).

(Pascoual) #64

So, got my iC880A + Raspberry Pi 3 gateway connected and sending RF packet to LoRaSerer :wink: !

Do you have some good links to learn more about LoRaWAN protocole ? Because I need to understand why my node ask to join and don't get an ACK. Perhaps this has to be done my application (via the API), or it's a misconfiguration on receive window RX1 and RX2, or anything else.

application/92059f1e07087555/node/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/join {"devAddr":"07a10f0f","devEUI":"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"}

Looping with a new devAddr each time.

Thanks.

Great, Thanks for your reply.

(Timo) #66

Hello @brocaar,

thanks for the loraserver and your work. The system works great!

I can downlink base64 data to my microchip debug node and display this data on the display (https://docs.loraserver.io/lora-app-server/mqtt-topics/).

I'm wondering if i can emit downlink commands?

Yes you can :slight_smile: See application/[AppEUI]/node/[DevEUI]/tx on the above documentation link. Please note that downlink frames are only sent when an open receive window occurs (thus after an uplink transmission, for Class-A).

The best source is the LoRaWAN specification itself :slight_smile: See https://www.lora-alliance.org/Contact/Request-Specification-Form.

(Marjar) #70

Hi brocaar,
Can you give me some suggestions?
I need to know when the communication between gateway and the server is "ok" or "ko".
But I don't want to infer this from the sensor messages, because is possible that I don't receive sensor messages for a long time(
and communication between gateway and the server could be ok).
What is the best way to know this?.

Message throttling

Hi! When using the latest version of the packet_forwarder (which implements v2 of the UDP protocol), the packet_forwarder will return error messages (e.g. in case of wrong frequency, tx power, collisions). Currently these errors are logged in the LoRa Gateway Bridge logs only. In the future these errors might be integrated in LoRa Server so that they can be returned to the user. In general it might be a good idea to scan through the logs, see if there are any hints :slight_smile:

(M Alen) #72

Hello everyone!
I'm new on this forum but I have been playing with LoRa for few weeks now. I'm having some issues receiving ACK for confirmed uplink. If my node doesn't receive ACK for the first message it doesn't receive it at all. A far as I understand it, the server doesn't send ACK for any retransmissions. Does anybody know is this functionality built into the LoRa server and if so how is it setup? Should the server resend ACK for received retransmissions? If I read the LoRaWAN protocol correctly it should.
Thanks in advance!

Just to take away any assumptions, LoRa Server != TTN, so depending which server you're using, this answer might help or help not :wink:

LoRa Server will never process re-transmissions as potentially these might be replay attacks performed by a third-party. Replay attacks could cause some serious security issues + a third-party is able to consume airtime of gateways (which might have a duty-cycle restriction). See also Notes on LoRaWAN security.

(M Alen) #74

Hi again @brocaar,

so I found the Enable relax frame-counter checkbox in LoRa Server and checked it, but after rejoin I still do not get ACK for re-transmissions (100% sure) and get FCnt errors.
Do I need to enable this in some other way as well or should the checkbox alone do the trick?

Also, would you expect a reply from LoRa alliance any time soon regarding this as a security issue?

(Thulsadoom) #75

Hi @brocaar,

Since I am going to be doing extensive bi-directional LoRa testing, I'd like to setup a local server so as not to stomp all over the TTN community standards guidelines...

"vagrant up" on my test box failed with this:
(this is a subsequent attempt to show the error message, the original invocation did the preliminary retrievals and then failed here)

biff@obsidian:~/lora/loraserver-setup$ vagrant up
Bringing machine 'vagrant' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
There are errors in the configuration of this machine. Please fix
the following errors and try again:

ansible local provisioner:
* The following settings shouldn't exist: install_mode

I'm not familiar at all with ansible, and I'm not even sure if it is Vagrant or Ansible that is complaining...

Any ideas?

thanks

Jim

I've already replied to your issue on GitHub :wink: https://github.com/brocaar/loraserver-setup/issues/3

(Thulsadoom) #77

Hi @brocaar,
After manually upgrading Vagrant I was able to finish the installation.

Now my client/gateway that works fine with TTN is being rejected when attempting to join due to:

response error: get join-accept txinfo error: lorawan/band: the given data-rate does not exist"

I assume something needs configured server side for the node?

I forgot to mention I'm using US radios...
(see issue on github for logs)

It might not be clear from the docs, but for Vagrant you might need to modify host_vars/vagrant.yml to your needs (most important the BAND config). After that you can run vagrant provision to update the configuration :slight_smile: I've updated the README.

(Thulsadoom) #79

Yep, that was the fix, the server was assuming EU channels and I'm using currently using US channels.

With that in mind, I also assume that I can't use both my US and my EU gateways at the same time, the server has to be configured for one or the other?

Maybe as a feature enhancement - allow configuration of channel sets on a per gateway - instead of per server?

I'm probably in the minority of users, in that I'm testing both US and EU setups. (I obviously was testing my US setup first)

Thanks again for the quick response!

Jim

(Rfjack) #80

Hi,
First thanks @brocaar for your amazing work.

My question is about getting new data with MQTT. When I use just App EUI in MQTT Lens (or below code in Node JS) I can get the decrypted data (base64), with no password or appkey! I don't know what I did wrong.
Thanks

`var mqtt = require('mqtt');
var client = mqtt.connect(server address:1883');

client.on('connect', function () {
client.subscribe('application/AppEUI/node/+/rx')
});

client.on('message', function (topic, message) {
// message is Buffer
console.log(message.toString());
client.end();
});`

(Hsan Bouazizi) #81

I have a gateway kerlink iot station 868, my goal is that it be connected to the TTN server. Can you help me and please explain is what your server can detect my gateway.
I used "https://console.thethingsnetwork.org/" to register my gateway but no result.
What is the difference between your server and TTN server?
I'm really blocked