Ancient poly_pkt_fwd showing as not seen for several hours

So I have an old DIY gateway made from a Raspberry Pi and an IMST ic880a gateway. It is using very old poly_pky_fwd UDP forwarder code.

It’s been sat working for years now, it’s been at the back of my mind that it needs changing to use Basic Station and moving to V3 for a while.

But today it seems to have stopped working in that it is showing as “Last Seen” about 5 hours ago. I’ve been getting notifications all night saying that it has been offline, back online, offline etc… but now it just shows offline.

When I watch the logs of the packet forwarder it looks like it is working to me.

E.G.

##### 2021-02-23 12:48:08 GMT #####
### [UPSTREAM] ###
# RF packets received by concentrator: 2
# CRC_OK: 100.00%, CRC_FAIL: 0.00%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
# RF packets forwarded: 2 (52 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 3 (720 bytes)
# PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 100.00%
### [DOWNSTREAM] ###
# PULL_DATA sent: 2 (100.00% acknowledged)
# PULL_RESP(onse) datagrams received: 0 (0 bytes)
# RF packets sent to concentrator: 0 (0 bytes)
# TX errors: 0
### [GPS] ###
# Invalid gps time reference (age: 1614084488 sec)
# Manual GPS coordinates: latitude 533829.00000, longitude 14937.00000, altitude 0 m
##### END #####
INFO: [up] PUSH_ACK for server router.eu.thethings.network received in 19 ms
INFO: [down] for server router.eu.thethings.network PULL_ACK received in 19 ms

I guess this means I need to stop being lazy and re-install the software using the new Basic Station and move it and all my applications across to V3. But is there a known reason why the old forwarder might be not working with V2 anymore?

replying to my own thread (urgh) but it seems data is going through the gateway OK even though it is showing as not connected:

Screenshot from 2021-02-23 15-29-02

So uplinks being received OK by TTN from that specific gateway.

I suppose the answer is it’s not worth looking into this anymore as I’ll change to V3 & Basic Station soon!

If you search the forum you’ll find a quadrillion posts about the status not showing up.

TL;DR: It’s broke, it won’t be fixed, we are moving to v3

To be clear what is broken is merely status reporting, not the ability to support data flow through gateways (though yes, there have sometimes been service outages).

Thanks, I was unaware but yes I do see various posts now I searched for gateway status. I hadn’t originally noticed that my gateway was actually still passing traffic.

Time to rebuild it after many years of it working!

Not necessarily - at the moment there seems to be nothing actually wrong.

Or at least, first take time to understand that if/when you move your gateway to V3, all of the nodes working through it will need to rejoin or be manually reconfigured.

For something pi based, if I were going to experiment I’d set aside the existing SD card and start over with a new one.

And whatever you do, do not delete the gateway from V2, as if you do you’d have to invent a new id or get someone to release the old one before you could put it back.

that’s fine I am aware of all that, I’ve been using TTN for a few years now. I only have test kit on my own account, none of which is critical.

However someone in your neighborhood may be using your gateway to connect to TTN and you might be breaking their use cases if you move to V3 now.
Keep the community in mind when contributing/using the community network…

It’s just an indoor gateway but point taken, I’ll connect another gateway up whilst transferring my old Pi based one so there is no down time.

1 Like