Best practices when sending GPS location data [HowTo]

Look like the MGRS or the Maidenhead Locator System :wink:

1 Like

The AIS standard use 28 bits for longitude and 27 bits for latitude to report the position of a ship without loosing accuracy.
Could be packed in 7 bytes, giving one more bit to code something else.

TDOA could give us a approximative location, (or even the position of the base station itself), so the offset could be relative to the nearest square in a reference grid.

Example:
We are in the 4QFJ 1 6 MGRS square (precision level 10 km).
Exactly at location 4QFJ 12345 67890 (precision level 1 m).
So we transmit only 2345 7890, 0—9999 (dec): we need only 14 bits X 2
If we choose to have 12 bits X 2, the precision is near 2.5 meters (10000/2^12)

2 Likes

For information, see Low Power Payload (LPP) that allows the device to send multiple sensor data at one time.

GPS location is 9 bytes long:
3 bytes for Latitude: 0.0001 ° Signed MSB
3 bytes for Longitude: 0.0001 ° Signed MSB
3 bytes for Altitude: 0.01 meter Signed MSB

3 bytes for altitude is not best practices in my book. It also needs two additional bytes to indicate the “channel” and what the field type is. But indeed, TTN supports this as an integration as well.

1 Like

I think all GPS position reports must contain position error information. It is very important that the system receiving the position report have an understanding of how accurate the position report is.

2 Likes

Another idea:

If you need more frequent readings record a single GPS position set, then record at a higher frequency timestamp and position deltas. Only upload the message when it is full. Convert the delta’s back to absolute references in the incoming conversion function. (No need to hold any additional state in the Platform).

1 Like

Maybe the following may enhance the basic problem of sending a payload as small as possible to encounter the Fair Access Policy.
Please comment on this to make it worthwhile to work this out or not at all. Maybe the wheel was already invented.
The Google Protocol Buffers Encoding cannot be used as Google encoding has a minimal of one byte. This algorithm has a minimum of one bit.
The following is focussed on collecting measurement values transported via LoRaWan.
The basic is a dynamic marshalling data technic via marshalling algorithm coefficients in tables known but not static at the concentrator and client/node side.

How does this work?
The table has meta data to identify the table and version. The server side maintains a set of tables. Each client/node uses a table to define the coefficients of the marshalling algorithm to serialize the values into a bit stream for the payload.
The table has an ordered array of tuples. Each index of the tuple denotes the measurement (e.g. type of sensor, e.g. dht22, and unit, e.g. temperature). The tuple has a minimum value, the base, the maximum value, to describe the bandwidth of the measurements, and decimal precision.
E.g. for a GPS location which changes only in it’s lifetime within 30 km and with a precision of say 15 meters, this scheme will allow a payload of a very few bits.
E.g. for a temperature within a housholt and a bandwidth of say ± 12.0 oC eight bits suffice or even if dynamic marshalling table technic is used 6 or less bits will suffice.

How to make this to a dynamic marshalling table?
Lucky enough the communication is bidirectional. So the client/node is able to send a change tuple N of the used table to the server. The server acknowledge the request with a new version of the table for this client node.
This means on the longer run the table will stabalize.

Questions:
Is something like this already existant?
For some less powerfull clients this scheme might be too complex.
Is this scheme feasible?

I was triggered by the TTN service to define some statements to decode a payload and wanted to automate this. In other wordings the manual version is already present in TTN.

1 Like

how many times per day ?

How many per day?
Good point. Put this as meta value in the table. This to avoid at start up time and poor initial values in the table a frequent exchange of messages to improve the table.

Could you give an example of what a table could look like?

Unrelated to the last few posts: see also Encoding GPS data in 40 bits.

Note that my writing is an idea and not a full definition of a proposal. So with the discussion we try to collect the items for in the definition as well the feasibility.
This reply is just to give you more info to explain the idea.

Description of the table:
The table has some meta data:
The client/node has an unique number so this ID can be used to identify the table. But the there is a need to identify say the version. Probably as well more data as time of creation, last modified time, flag for “in transition”, and maybe more. Meta data can be sent “off line”.
The other part is an ordered array of _name_s and _tuple_s.
The name is to discriminate the different measurements, e.g. a string: , , e.g. DHT22@temperature and a unit, e.g. Celcius.
The tuple is to be able to calculate the amount of bits, the marshalling, needed to decode/encode the value of the measurement: ,,. In this way the amount of bits needed to encode the value is always a positive integer (minimal 0, maximal 2^^n -1),
e.g. say the first array element of the table is:
“DHT22”, “temperature”, “Celcius”, (12,37.5,-1) will allow 8 bits to denote values between 12.0 up to 37.5 (256 different values) . The first 8 bits can be decoded to the temperature of the DHT22 sensor, measurement in degrees Celcius.
Say the second array element is defined as “switch@lamp”,“On/Off”, (0,1,0) will encode as 1 bit. The payload will be 9 bits.
Say the third array element is defined as “switch@dimmed”,“level”,(0,7,0) will encode 8 dimmed levels as 3 bits. The pay load now becomes now 12 bits.

The table is defined something as: { meta_data: { …}, data: [ { type: string, unit: string, measurement: string, tuple: [ base float, width float, decimals integer ], …]}
Discussion:
Use a minimum value minus 1 to denote a null reading?
The client/node will send the table number with say version zero to denote an out of width value, in order to alarm the server to redefine the table for some entry.

1 Like

Like noted before: note that downloads are very limited. You certainly cannot send a downlink for every uplink.

The table will probably be quite stable. Yes the initial table should be defined carefully. I do not expect that the download is more frequent as say once a month. As the table updates is done as changes to the table the amount of data to update a table is very very limited.
The problem is merely: how to make sure that the table at the server and client side are the same? Once a week a table checksum?
Remind you: this “table/algorithm” synchronisation problem already currently exists.

I like this concept.

In a way, it is a generalized version of thesolarnomad’s serialization library (the library was mentioned earlier by @arjanvanb) .

thesolarnomad’s library currently support the following serialization types:

• Unix time (4 bytes)
  • GPS coordinates (8 bytes)
  • Unsigned 8bit Integer (1 byte)
  • Unsigned 16bit Integer (2 bytes)
  • Temperature (2 bytes, -327.68 to +327.67)
  • Humidity (2 bytes, 0-100 with two decimals)
  • Bitmap (1 byte)

With the suggested table approach, a serialization library could be built to allow any table to be used. This would mean that I can save some bits if I want to save humidity with no decimals, that I can have a temperature that goes higher than 327 degrees, etc. And all this without having to modify the serialization library. All I need to do is to define a new (static) table when generating new firmware for my node.

So even if requiring deploying a new firmware, the table approach would add value since I would get greater flexibility in the serialization.

A further step might be to distribute table updates over LoRaWAN. An approach could be to not send updates of whole tables, but only updates of table rows. If we can encode one table row in the downlink, the device could request table updates once per 24 hours. If there is an update to the table, the first row (including the row’s index for identification) is sent in downlink. This would limit the update pace to one row per table per 24 hours but I think that could be sufficient.

Following step: update the table: yes, I did not have in mind to send the whole table (full tables could be sent out of band as e.g. at the initial time).

With sending only the change of value (last value minus previous) one could save more bits (similar as is done in the round robin database e.g. RRD graphs). A combination of the generalized table approach might even save more bits.
But with sending datagrams or telegrams which can be lost this will disrupt the server end value. Maybe a checksum send from the client side can help to detect data transport misses. Has someone experience with this approach?

Hello.
Another way to reduce the radio overhead and thus the band is to use a mathematical way to compress the data. And this is to express the large numbers into another Base.
Radioamateurs use radio to send position for more than 20 years and it’s made at a 300 or 1200 baud.
There is a method for compressing the information in BASE91 then send it as an ASCI string.
Take a look, it is very simple: http://he.fi/doc/aprs-base91-comment-telemetry.txt
For some specific application where the precision is not a must, a simplified form can be used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maidenhead_Locator_System
Best regards/73 de Adrian YO3HJV

No, this yields text. With LoRaWAN you should never send text as that only uses a part of the available 8 bits per byte. LoRaWAN is perfectly able to handle binary data; there is no need to first convert the bits to some printable encoding.

http://base91.sourceforge.net/ tells you, emphasis mine:

The overhead produced by basE91 depends on the input data. It amounts at most to 23% (versus 33% for base64) and can range down to 14%, which typically occurs on 0-byte blocks. This makes basE91 very useful for transferring larger files over binary unsafe connections like e-mail or terminal lines.

2 Likes

Using https://github.com/thesolarnomad/lora-serialization I was able to get a Position, Altitude and HDOP down to 12 bytes. In my case, this was for TTN Mapper.

• Position (8 bytes) - Using LoraEncoder::writeLatLng
  • Altitude (2 bytes) - Using LoraEncoder::writeUint16 (0-65535m)
  • HDOP (2 bytes) - Using LoraEncoder::writeHumidity (0.00-99.99)

The decode function at the TTN end was just decoder.js with the following added to the end (before the closing brace of decoder.js):

var ll = latLng(bytes.slice(0, 8));
decoded.latitude = ll[0];
decoded.longitude = ll[1];
decoded.altitude = uint16(bytes.slice(8,10));
decoded.hdop = humidity(bytes.slice(10,12));
  return decoded;
1 Like

Hello,
even so most areas of the earth are above sea level it wouldn’t hurt to use a signed integer for the altitude.

The lowest points in West Europe are 7 meters under sea level (see Lammefjorden and Zuidplaspolder).
Thank you, Tore