Connected Things GPS node-constant join state

Hi all
Continuing my LoraWAN journey, I purchased a Connected Things GPS node https://connectedthings.store/gb/tabs-object-locator-lorawan-gps-tracker.html

I have it connecting to my TTN Indoor Gateway-my other node, a Pi with a Dragino GPS/Lora HAT connects no problem to the same gateway-and the output shows up nicely on my Tago IO dashboard. All good so far.

My problem is the CT GPS node is showing up in a constant join state on the gateway
lora gateway-1

I have added the node in my Applications console-the actual device was pretty sparse on instructions in the box, so I’ve used the DEV and APP EUI details captured from the gateway (the DEV EUI is the same as on the node casing). Using the online LoraWan packet decoder and the node payload info, all looks good-I think?

Assuming hex-encoded packet
000000500100CBA0586B2E200000CBA058DE658072C47C

Message Type = Join Request
  PHYPayload = 000000500100CBA0586B2E200000CBA058DE658072C47C

( PHYPayload = MHDR[1] | MACPayload[..] | MIC[4] )
        MHDR = 00
  MACPayload = 0000500100CBA0586B2E200000CBA058DE65
         MIC = 8072C47C

( MACPayload = AppEUI[8] | DevEUI[8] | DevNonce[2] )
      AppEUI = 58A0CB0001500000
      DevEUI = 58A0CB0000202E6B
    DevNonce = 65DE

I think I have done everything as I should, and have checked through the forums to see what else I could do/could have missed so any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers

cabs

This looks to be the original Tracknet.io/Tabs (since re-absorbed back into Semtech) device, now sourced through their ODM/OEM supply partners and distributed by CT - I guess with later firmware?

What advice did you get from Al @eggfriedrice and the CT/SSL team when you asked them?!

Hi Jeff
Never knew they were on here :slight_smile: I’ll PM them in the New Year, if I cant work it out before then.

Cheers

cabs
PS-they sent me some sweets as well with the order, so maybe a bit harsh with the sparse part :slight_smile:

As you need the AppKey which is not transmitted (it’s a secret so that’s to be expected) you won’t be able to add the device correctly this way.

1 Like

Morning Jac-thanks for the reply and a HNY!
lora device-2
There appears to be an App Key (I think it was auto-generated when I registered the device)?

On the point of ‘adding the device this way’-is there another way I could try?

cheers
cabs

HNY for you as well!

That appkey is most likely auto generated, TTN does this when adding a new device if you do not explicitly provide one yourself.
The working options are to register the device using EUIs and key provided by the vendor or to use TTN generated information and update the device with that.

Thanks-there was nothing in the box or additional instructions from the CT guys so I guess everything I need, needs to be supplied upon registering by TTN then. Sweets-but no paperwork :slight_smile:
Time for another coffee and have another go-I honestly thought buying a node from an approved TTN supplier, and using a TTN Indoor gateway, things wouldn’t be so hard! The PI/Dragino HAT setup took about 2 weeks, I hope I get a breakthrough :slight_smile:

cabs

There was no information on the packaging of the sensor either?

For some devices I received (encrypted) email with the information. Other vendors put it on the paper invoice accompanying the shipment and manufacturer’s like Dragino add it to the inside of the lid of the box the sensor ships in. So there are a number of possible ‘hiding places’ for the information.

Nope-the only identifier was/is the DEV EUI-nothing else I could see. And the only email was the FedEx delivery instructions.
So it looks like something simple/something I’m missing-intriguing…

cabs

Solved! The good guys at CT (on New Year’s Day!) sent me through a mail with the correct APP Key-as soon as I put that in, the Tracknet (TABS) node started broadcasting back. Moved it around the back garden and the GPS co-ords are reporting back as well. Happy days and thanks to all who helped-now to build a Rasp Pi 4 8 channel outdoor gateway :slight_smile:

cabs

1 Like