Erratic uplinks from dragino LHT65 when I move it a couple of metres :(

I have an LHT65 transmitting temperature every 20 minutes. I also have a dragino LPS8 gateway. I can see join requests and uplinks in the gateway and the end node on TTN V3 console, and I also receive the data in thingspeak.
When I have the LHT65 sitting on a table about 5m away form the LPS8 it seems to work fine. As soon as I move it up about 1m and backwards about 2m onto a shelf (but still about 5m from the LPS8), the data is only received very erratically, several hours between uplinks. (see figure). If I put it back on the table it does not recover, unless I force it to rejoin. I get the feeling that the occasional successful erratic uplink is being received by another distant gateway and not my own, but I don’t understand why it does not revert to my gateway when I move it back? Maybe it is somehow in a blind spot on the shelf?

I have read another case on the forum of similar erratic behaviour of an LHT65 where the owner gave up and binned it. I will try updating my firmware on the LHT65 (from 1.6 to 1.8) before I do that, maybe that has something to do with it.

LHT65-erratic

YOU ARE SHOUTING IN THE EARS OF THE GATEWAY SO HARD THAT IT IS TOTALLY OVERLOADED.

LoRa stands for Long Range - 1m is not even short range, it’s sort of pico-tiny-very-close-range. Think in terms of 10’s of meters, in the right situations, 1000 of them - as in 10km.

We advise 5m AND a brick wall when setting up devices with a gateway in the same room - put the gateway somewhere else.

The person who wanted to bin his device had other issues.

Does the node join OK and the Gateway receive its transmissions when its 50m away from the Gateway ?

We need a pinned post about this.

Yes 5m and brick wall, just check the RSSI as well, you need rssi as low as you can get.

Remember you are going to deploy your nodes typically a few 100m or km away so you can expect a significant drop in rssi and snr, which is where you want to test.

You can’t go to the club and stand next to the bands speakers, sooner or late you are going to lose your hearing.

1 Like

I WAS AWARE THAT BEING TOO CLOSE IS A PROBLEM. EVEN PUTTING THE GATEWAY IN OTHER ROOMS GAVE THE SAME RESULT. THE FACT THAT IT WORKS WITH THE NODE AT 5M IN ONE POSITION AND NOT AT 5M IN ANOTHER (AND QUITE CONSISTENTLY AND REPEATABLY) MADE ME THINK IT IS SOMETHING ELSE!

I’ve now got it about 10m away with a concrete wall in between and yes, problem solved…

PS - in response to your reply (which I can’t reply to as the topic is closed) :
I don’t expect you to know this, I am simply telling you why, despite me being aware of the proximity issue, I did not think it was the root cause.

PS - why is it that you always love to reply with snide comments?

And we’d have known this how?