How to setup for inbuilt LNS in RAK5146

Hi,

I am trying to implement inbuilt LNS in RAK5146 module. I just started with Quick Start Guide for Raspberry Pi and RAK LPWAN Concentrators | RAKwireless Documentation Center link.

After this follow the steps for LNS as per LoRaWAN Network Server (LNS) | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN link.

In above link i can not able to understand where i can put .cert and lns.key file.

Please anyone suggest the steps which i missing here?
Thank you

1 Like

There seems to be a mix here that doesn’t link together.

There is no LNS in the concentrator card - it’s just a concentrator card - if you use it on the Pi then you can then run TTS OS on the Pi as well - if you have a decently spec’d Pi - 4Gb would be good, you may get away with 2Gb.

If you are linking the RAK card via Basic Station to the TTS on the Pi, you need to get the TTS up & running first.

Balena may solve both problems for you if you want to read up about that.

1 Like

Hello sir,

We are actually use RAK5146 with our custom board and it is based on raspbian os.

1 Like

Yes, you said that in your first post.

• The Pi can run the gateway software required for the RAK5146
  • The RAK5146 can NOT run an LNS.
  • The Pi can run the LNS as well.

You appear to be trying to connect the output of the RAK5146 card acting as a gateway to the input of an LNS which you may be hoping to run on the same Pi.

Just in case me putting it two more different ways isn’t enough, the concentrator card will never be able to run an LNS, it is the radio system to run a gateway, it doesn’t have a CPU in the normal sense, it does not run Raspbian or any other OS.

But you can, with care & technical expertise, run a gateway AND an LNS on the same Pi because the Pi can run the gateway software AND it can run an LNS.

And whilst off topic for this forum, RAK do supply a card image that will allow you to do exactly that, just not with TTS OS.

So, please clarify what you are trying to achieve before we move on to what is holding you back. An image tells a thousand words, so a diagram may help.

Also, have you ever run the RAK5146 on a Pi as just a gateway?

And have you ever run the TTS OS on any machine?
And if so, have you ever run it on a Pi?

2 Likes

Hello Sir,

Let’s explain you in little bit brief. Actually we are integrating RAK5146 with or custom board which is implement on raspbian os but not raspberry pi. RAK 5146 is connected through SPI bus with our board.

We already installed all the packages in our board and configure it for RAK 5146. RAK 5146 is shown connected in ttn server dashboard and able to receive data from node and send acknowledgement.

Now we want to implement concept of in-built LNS with our board which works with RAK 5146. For that, we refer LoRaWAN Network Server (LNS) | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN link.

As per this link we add gateway in ttn and download the key file. but now we are confused about next step like where we can mention LNS server name and add key file and everything.

Please guide us in that matter.

Hello Sir,

We install basicstation repository using GitHub - lorabasics/basicstation: LoRa Basics™ Station - The LoRaWAN Gateway Software link. And trying to setup everything as per given readme file.

But, when we trying to run this for RAK 5146 using " RADIODEV=/dev/spidev0.0 /opt/ttn-station/basicstation/build-corecell-std/bin/station" command. We are getting error of “[HAL:ERRO] [lgw_start:1105] failed to open I2C for temperature sensor on port 0x39”. Please check attached log file
temp_error.txt (9.0 KB)

Kindly share your suggestion.

You could use the RAK installer for the RAK product …

Hello sir,

Thank you for valuable response.

I have no idea about RAK installer. Can you share me any reference document aur link to achieve my goal?