LoRa transmission from low orbit satellite during The Things Conference

Congratulations! Well done, and thanks for trying the 433 module.

Thomas

Although I received 6 packets in total, I did not pick up the secret one.

The module I used was a 434Mhz Hope module, antenna was a dual 2M\70cm portable antenna.

So I guess the ‘prize’ is still to be won.

Very nice to see the telex printing the messages twice a day. And quite a nice idea Thomas’ company http://www.lacuna.space has!

7 Likes

indeed very impressive, imagine one ‘super’ satellite gateway…

OK, Thomas…, the telex printing and bells ringing made for a very inspiring presentation. Well done!

Now rigging a LoRa receiver for 162MHz with some parts I have on the desk. A hopeRF module, Raspberry PI and an antenne for receiving aircraft transmissions. Obviously the antenna goes on the roof.

IMG_5031

Waiting for the satellite to pass overhead…

3 Likes

So my setup did not catch anything. I had to step out of the office during the pass of the satellite, you know work…

So I set the LoRa receiver to continuously receive SF12 messages @162MHz. Not taking into account doppler shift or anything. So I might be listening at the wrong frequency… Nothing received during this pass. But that makes sense because I just saw Thomas’ post saying it is transmitting on SF11.

Oh well, will try with a more elaborate setup and the correct SF during the next pass of the satellite… :slight_smile:

Just to make sure:

Center frequency: 161.862500Mhz
Bandwidth: 125kHz
Sync word: 0x12
Spreading: SF11
Low Data Rate Optimize: on
Header: on
Coding Rate: 4/8 (this is in the header, no need to configure)
IQ inverted (this is default for rx, don’t change anything)

Good luck tonight!!

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

Yes I set the center frequency to 161.862500MHz too now.

Maybe I have time to quickly put together a cross yagi antenna @ 162MHz for tonight. Don’t know, lets see what bits and pieces I have in the shed for that.

Ivo, any luck?

Hi Thomas,

Nope. We just had another pass of Norsat 2. I installed ‘gpredict’ and configured ‘Norsat 2’ to actually see when the satellite is passing overhead. But so far my receiver is not picking up the LoRa signal from space.

When will the transmissions stop? As soon as the TTN conference is over? I like the challenge, but my setup needs some more tweaking I am afraid.

Cheers, Ivo

It stops tonight 0.00 UTC, so 1.00 Amsterdam time. Even though Stuart has won the prize, still nice to try! (Next pass around 13.35 Amsterdam time.)

@LoRaTracker, congrats on the prize!

2 Likes

N2YO is showing passes at 22:41, which will be low in the sky for London/Amsterdam, and 00:17 over Ireland, which is technically tomorrow. Where are you getting 13:35 from?

DSC_0182

1 minute!

1 Like

What did he win? The telex printer used during the conference? :sunglasses:

DSC_0183

The previous one was very short…

1 Like

Telex has captured a few packets just now.

It’s mid Atlantic at the moment, about 5 degrees off the horizon. Is that receivable?

1 Like

Ack. Last pass starts at 23:35:06 CET.

There is a low elevation pass at 22:03 as well (2.3 degrees above the horizon).

Unfortunately I did not.

I have a nice node to play with when I get home.

I will post the receiver code at some point, it can be useful to have a simple receiver that can easily configured for different LoRa and frequency settings and can log packets as ASCII and hex to terminal and SD card. The code should run on most Arduino platforms.

We now know that LoRa can be received from low earth orbit with very simple ground based equipment.

And thanks to Thomas for such an interesting challenge.

1 Like

Last message was received in Delft last night (1 degree elevation):

TTNSAT-1 2018-02-03 22:47:55.864 goodbye!

It was great, thanks all for your enthusiasm!

3 Likes