Lorawan Duinotech Gateway

Just wondering what I can use my Duinotech Gateway for now ( it’s now obselete )

Can I still use it in the field as an end point ?

The fact that your link shows the node-class LoRa radio to be hanging off an ATmega328 rather than directly off the Linux module hints that this might be a bit less challenging than on some other platforms, but it’s still going to be quite a task.

Basically you’d have to take something like LMiC and port it to that ATmega’s configuration, while keeping full support of modern LoRaWAN intact (eg, you have to respond to MAC commands correctly in ways that LMiC didn’t until fairly recent revs of MCCI’s LMiC repo), and fitting within the memory constraints of that ATmega, which is also a challenge. You’d then add ability to accept a message from the Linux side to be transmitted, and return notification of any response - basically you’d be re-creating a minimalist form an AT command type “LoRaWAN stack in a chip” module.

Then there’s also the fact that LoRaWAN offers fairly limited bandwidth compared to what an Embedded Linux box usually wants for the kinds of applications to which it is suited.

I might be tempted to use it for some other home control or monitoring purpose primarily using the wifi or Ethernet, but with fallback to LoRaWAN to get a notification to you through TTN if it looses its own wifi/Ethernet network connection for some reason.

Or you could just buy new stuff that’s easier to use for a given purpose. If I worked for a business that had a container full of these unsold, I’d do one set of things, if I worked for a business that had a handful I’d just point out it wasn’t cost effective, and if I owned one personally I might or might not use it compared to other solutions potentially including actual LoRaWAN gateways that did some bonus home control/monitoring on the side.

I think i’ll put this a side for a rainy day