Moteino or Moteino Mega for LoRaWAN Node

(Juhecomp) #1

Hi there,
I am new to the topic (LoRa / LoRaWAN) but I want to start with building my first node soon to get some first experiences.
Before buying anything I wanted to make sure that it'll work for my purposes. I recently read about the moteino from LowPowerLabs (https://lowpowerlab.com/shop/) and thought of it as an easy and fast way to get going. Now with the moteino there are two different variants and I'm a bit confused which one I will need to be fully able to use LoRaWAN and TTN. I live in switzerland so the frequency will be 868 MHz.
1. Moteino Mega RFM95 LMIC variant
2. Moteino RFM95

Here: https://github.com/lukastheiler/ttn_moteino lukas writes that with the latest LMIC library the Moteino (without Mega) which would be great because of its smaller size.

Do you have some experience with that? And would I have to modify the boards before using them with TTN (additional code, hardware, soldering)?

Thank you for your help.

Julian

Registering a Moteino with LORA on Things Network

Julian

Tested custom moteino with (LMIC variant and no GPIO pin variant), no problem when I tested them :wink:

With LMIC variant you can flash code directly (according setting up DIO connection in your sketch) and it will works with OTAA and TTN without any problem.

(Juhecomp) #3

Hi Charles,
thank you for your fast reply but I can't find LMIC with the custom moteino. I just see the option with the moteino mega.
Can you tell me where you ordered?

I've made my own boards,but classic moteino from lowpowerlabs will works
you can buy here
Choose LMIC variant with components for $1 but you won't need to solder them, don't worry you can put keys in your code.

If you want to use LMIC code without DIO connection use this PR I made

be careful! read on lowpowerlab page and I don't know what really happens in EU
We do not carry 868Mhz specific units any more, but will ship 915Mhz units for 868Mhz orders.
I would order the LMIC variant without tranceiver and solder a RFM95w by myself

yeah sorry, I ordered them without RFM95, I have some in stock :wink:

(Juhecomp) #7

Thank you for the hint.
He writes:

"There is only 1 passive component value difference between the two versions and open air testing reveals no significant signal strength difference using 915Mhz units with 868Mhz settings."

Should I give it a try?

as I wrote, take the plain LoRa version and solder the RFM95W by yourself. It's not so difficult as it looks
in this case you're on the save side.
probably somebody out of the community could help you ... (I'm in CH)