Laird: Sentrius RG1XX

Here in N.Z the RG191 costs NZ$430 while the outdoor version will be NZ$1546 which is outrageous.

I just moved an RG191 into a metal enclosure, added an N-type pigtail, 1 metre antenna cable and a L-Com HG908U-PRO antenna and the upgrade cost me NZ$250.

4 Likes

Ha I did the same thing when I saw the price difference also, it was a nice surprise to see the ufl connectors when I took it apart :smiley: Nice work, looking flash!

I have the WiFi disabled, but just in case it’s ever enabled, I decided to leave a simple 1/4 wave antenna attached. I just sacrificed the U.FL to RP-SMA pigtails to make them and stripped the coax shield off for ~31mm

Did something similar - and set up a low voltage PoE feed - but careful angling of the board in housing allowed me to keep the Wi-Fi components as supplied as immediate option vs just wireline Enet :slight_smile:
GW is mounted on a ~10m mast with head end/GW upgrade from internal Laird supplied unit to external IP6x rated system costing <£100 in materials…power feed is from a mast base mounted Battery/Solar controller/Enet tap (for GW management/config without having to bring GW down or for backhaul connection if not on Wi-Fi) with external solar panel. Total cost for power source update materials approx £90-£95.

3 Likes

Nice one! The weather held off today for me to deploy my first RG191 gateway out into the field. Antenna is a L-com 8dBi omni.

I haven’t fully tested it out yet, but I ran TTN Mapper on the way home and got all the way home (14Km line of sight) and was still getting packets through.

gateway

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Arduino MKR WAN 1300

UPDATED:

We just got our Sentrius RG186 as well! We were really excited - however upon trying to login with the default username and password… access was denied - we reseted the gateway - tried again - still same that the username and password are not correct ! (sentrius RG1xx)

(we tried from different browsers and computers … as well!)

Any suggestions? or is it the only ones we have this problem ?

thank you!

After resetting CORRECTLY - we managed to login with the default username and password

1 Like

Hi,
Is it possible to configure RG1XX to operate in the IN865 ISM band ( for eg., supporting the mandatory 3 channels 865.0625, 865.4025 and 865.985 etc) ?

It is unclear for me from the user guide at Laird’s website if this is possible.

Thank you.

Remember!!! When you connect via wi-fi always unplug the Ethernet cable…

1 Like

Where did you get your IP68 Enclosure?

were you able to get this working ?

Enclosure is a StationBox made by RF Elelments

Yep, got four out in the field and three more Raspberry Pi MTac based gateways as well.

Can you tell me about how many solar panels you used in this setup?

How many/size you will need will depend on placement - how much of a clear horizon you have, if there are buildings or trees obscuring /shadowing for part of day etc. - whether you have fixed or tracking install of the panels, and where you are in the world (solar elevation angle). The summer experiment kicked off with just one and a single battery per photo. It wasn’t expected that would be enough to get through winter :slight_smile: or even through Autumn days if weather poor. Have been experimenting with since and have also been evaluating 24hr pwr consumption of the target GW’s.

If it helps a crude measurement of the consumption for a Laird bd running off nominal 5V USB supply suggests ~8400mAh - assume reading was 10-20% ‘light’ and looks like 10,000mAh a good target 24Hr pwr spec to work with…

So you need one or more panels capable of powering GW whilst also charging the standby back-up battery and ensuring adequate reserves under local adverse conditions - leaf fall and snow cover etc. (unless you are in a desert of-course :wink: ), during whatever local sunshine hrs you get. During good summer weather I found I was getting useful (>75%MPP) for around 6-8 hrs/day so could size for ~1/3rd-1/4 of time being run with recovery whilst 2/3rd-3/4 draining battery. This time of year I’m finding its barely 1-2 hrs/day so have had to look at 50% increase in battery capacity and doubling up on the panels (Parallel install to ensure adequate charging current for battery whilst also running the GW). Even then I’m not convinced system will survive the worst a British winter and dark/rainy/snowy days can throw at it! Will be adjusting config as time goes on and will see what happens by time we get back to next spring :slight_smile:

Hi

I have just updated firmware of my RG186, after reboot all lights are blinking. What is the problem? How can I fix it?

And here is log of Laird from UART

RG1xx29387F login: killall: input-event-daemon: no process killed
done
Stopping semtech packet forwarder
Stopping bluetooth
Shutting down nbnsd services: sh: you need to specify whom to kill
done
Stopping ntpd: cat: can’t open ‘/var/run/ntpd.pid’: No such file or directory
sh: you need to specify whom to kill
FAIL
Stopping USB host-mode
Stopping network interfaces… wlan0 eth0 lo
Stopping logging services: syslogd klogd
Saving random seed… done

The system is going down NOW!

Sent SIGTE
Sent SIGKILL to all processes

Requesting system reboot
[ 14.510000] reboot: Restarting system
�RomBOOT

AT91Bootstrap 3.7.1-laird08 (Thu Dec 8 23:52:27 EST 2016)

NAND: ONFI flash detected
NAND: Manufacturer ID: 0x2c Chip ID: 0x31
NAND: Initialize PMECC params, cap: 0x8, sector: 0x200
NAND: Image: Copy 0x80000 bytes from 0x20000 to 0x23f00000
PMECC: sector bits = 0x1, bit 1 means corrupted sector, Now correcting…
Correct error bit in OOB @[#Byte 0x2,Bit# 0x2] 0xee -> 0xea
NAND: Done to load image

U-Boot 2014.07-laird04 (Dec 08 2016 - 23:52:30), Build: jenkins-wb50n-laird_fips-3.5.3.11-1

CPU: SAMA5D31
Crystal frequency: 12 MHz
CPU clock : 528 MHz
Master clock : 132 MHz
DRAM: 64 MiB
NAND: 128 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: macb0, usb_ether
Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x5e0000, size 0x500000
5242880 bytes read: OK

Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 22000000 …

Image Name: Linux-4.4.39-laird07.02
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 2627611 Bytes = 2.5 MiB
Load Address: 22000000
Entry Point: 22000000
Verifying Checksum … OK
Loading Kernel Image … OK

Starting kernel …

Uncompressing Linux… done, booting the kernel.
[ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0

[ 0.000000] Linux version 4.4.39-laird07.02 (jenkins@usdc01bd02) (gcc version 4.8.3 (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) ) #1 PREEMPT Wed May 23 11:39:36 EDT 2018

[ 0.000000] CPU: ARMv7 Processor [410fc051] revision 1 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7d

[ 0.000000] CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache

[ 0.000000] Machine model: Laird Workgroup Bridge 50N - Project Gatwick

[ 0.000000] bootconsole [earlycon0] enabled

[ 0.460000] atmel_sha f8034000.sha: initialization failed.

Initializing random number generator… done
Starting logging services: syslogd klogd
Looking for resetsh: write error: Device or resource busy
/etc/init.d/S05factoryreset: line 60: can’t create /sys/class/gpio/pioE31/direction: nonexistent directory
cat: can’t open ‘/sys/class/gpio/pioE31/value’: No such file or directory
sh: ==: argument expected
Resetting
Reverting forwarders
Remove custom configs
Unpack default configs
etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.password
opt/lora/
opt/lora/global_conf.json.EU
opt/lora/local_conf.json
opt/lora/global_conf.json.US
etc/network/interfaces
etc/summit/profiles.conf
etc/ssl/
etc/ssl/private/
etc/ssl/server.pem
etc/ssl/man/
etc/ssl/man/man1/
etc/ssl/man/man7/
etc/ssl/man/man5/
etc/ssl/man/man3/
etc/ssl/certs/
etc/ssl/openssl.cnf
etc/ssl/misc/
etc/ssl/misc/c_name
etc/ssl/misc/c_issuer
etc/ssl/misc/c_info
etc/ssl/misc/c_hash
etc/ssl/misc/CA.sh
Waiting for release

Summit Data Communications

@BWhitten Hi Ben can you shed light on this/recommend action or does @rserag need to go back through Laird support channels?

I must give credit where credit is due. The RG191 is a great gateway. For Aussies, they are one of easiest, most affordable and refined gateways on the market that work out the box for AU915. There is nothing at the same price point which works with such ease. They may have to have a firmware update done on them if they are older stock, but it beats mucking around with Raspberry Pis and he setup if all you want is a working gateway without the need for complete control and flexibility.

The best thing about this gateway is the fact that it works just like a modem router. It is not hard to setup, nor it is a new experience, it just does the job.

There is an issue with it however and it is the fact that when you access the web portal, it has a message saying “Connection with gateway may have been lost” which is annoying, but otherwise harmless. In addition, it is supplied with a US power supply, so those down under need to get a converter (female US to male AU) for about $10 to get it working.

Those interested can get them from Element14. Make sure it is the 915MHz version, otherwise it’ll be an expensive paper weight.

Thats had a partial upgrade, kernel and rootfs have gotten out of sync. This may have been due to an upgrade over unstable wifi or network outage.
It is unfortunatly an RMA job, later versions of the firmware dont suffer from this.

Thank you @BWhitten for support. @Jeff-UK thank you too!