Laird: Sentrius RG1XX

take the advice from @kersing :

’ Short: if you want a hassle free gateway that just works, go for it. If you want to tinker with the gateway, you need another brand. ’

My advice:
Connect the gateway to another (cheap) system like a Raspberry Pi. The available resources on the gateway are too limited for any serious software, it does not have any development tools on board either.

This gateway is excellent for what it is supposed to be: a gateway.

I understand. Thanks a lot. I would appreciate if you could send me the how to’s. Maybe I am not going to go that way because of the hardware limitations and risks. But in case I need, I’ll be able to do it. Thanks.

Great advice! How do I do that? How do I connect the Raspberry to the gateway? And how do I access the radio and other components of the gateway using the Pi? Thanks!!

Yes, thanks. That’s on my mind after I discovered I bought the wrong product. I’m willing to use Multitech’s Conduit because of EAP and open linux access and also decent hardware resources for development. Problem is cost. RaspPi integration I think is a great option and I will definately give it a try. Thanks!

Use the packet forwarder present on the gateway, configure to point it to the RPi. On the RPi run one of the available LoRaWAN network servers, google should list a couple of options.
For physical connection use a cheap switch and utp cables.

Digikey had both the 868 Mhz and 915 Mhz version in-stock, so I got both of them. It was simple to hook up both to our LoRaWAN asset tracker as well as to the TTN. I created a video:

LoRaWAN Asset Tracker referenced here: https://proxidyne.com/products/lorawan-sensors/proxidyne-iot-node/

3 Likes

@jmarcellino +1 for the “can you please send me the info?” … we’re looking at one of these as well and would also like to bric^H^H^H^H adapt it. If you could let me know as well, it’d be much appreciated.

@jmarcelino I’m trying to do some customizations on my Laird Gateway… Please, can you share the instructions about how to access the console and enable SSH?

I hope you realize that this Laird gateway is not open source @ this moment

why would you buy both?

I have tested it and it is good :slight_smile:
Now there is even concentrator card available over seller so I will test it next month.
Only downside is you will be limited to web interface, and there is no GSM modem inside :frowning:
But they have told me if more people ask for 3G modem they will consider adding it…
Box and antenna holders are not work of art to, you will notice that when you take it in screw first antenna in …
Price is great 250E.

Yes, and they told me that they do not approve case opening.
I have asked them root password for console.

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say that we have released an update to the RG1xx firmware.

This release is publicly available on the RG1xx product pages and fully documented in the associated Release Notes and RG1xx User Guide.

The new or enhanced features of this new FW are:-

• Wi-Fi Quick configuration for use in configuring the Gateway where no Ethernet is present.
  • The Things Network (TTN) packet forwarder support built in.
  • MQTT forwarder support built in. - https://docs.loraserver.io/lora-gateway-bridge/overview/
  • LoRa packet forwarder pre-sets for Senet
  • LoRa traffic decoding page
  • Engineering Support for AU915 mode (Australia – note no regulatory certification, testing purposes only)
  • Multiple bug fixes and also KRACK fixes for WPA2

Enjoy!

2 Likes

@BWhitten
Nice, thanks.

I see in config an option for “embeded lorawan server” but it’s grayed, does this mean we will able to use a local backend on this GW?

This option is currently a placeholder for a local backend, depending on market needs this is something that we could look at integrating in a future release.
The best thing to do if you have suggestions on features is contact our support guys, it can then get escalated internally with demand :slight_smile:

Hello all!

I managed to set up a RPi with a mosquitto broker receiving packets from the RG191, but the only message I see is from the topic “gateway/mac_address/stats” even though I am subscribing to all topics using “#” as in "mosquitto_sub -t “#”.

I am getting the following response:

Client mosqsub|12747-iotrix-pi received PUBLISH (d0, q0, r0, m0, ‘gateway/c0ee40ffff2938c6/stats’, … (163 bytes))
{“mac”:“c0ee40ffff2938c6”,“time”:“2017-12-14T17:32:43Z”,“rxPacketsReceived”:1,“rxPacketsReceivedOK”:0,“txPacketsReceived”:0,“txPacketsEmitted”:0,“customData”:null}

When I run mosquitto_sub -t “gateway/c0ee40ffff2938c6/rx” -d I only receive the following response:

Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi sending CONNECT
Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi received CONNACK
Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi sending SUBSCRIBE (Mid: 1, Topic: gateway/c0ee40ffff2938c6/rx, QoS: 0)
Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi received SUBACK
Subscribed (mid: 1): 0
Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi sending PINGREQ
Client mosqsub|14813-iotrix-pi received PINGRESP

Is there any other way to check if the gateway is receiving messages from end nodes and how can I see the contents of those messages? ( I can see nothing useful in the gateway logs other than # RF packets received by concentrator: 2 )

Any comments are very welcome, thanks in advance!

I’m the author of LoRa Gateway Bridge (which is used as the software for the MQTT forwarder). Hopefully I can give some hints :slight_smile:

{“mac”:“c0ee40ffff2938c6”,“time”:“2017-12-14T17:32:43Z”,“rxPacketsReceived”:1,“rxPacketsReceivedOK”:0,“txPacketsReceived”:0,“txPacketsEmitted”:0,“customData”:null}

It seems that your gateway did not (yet) receive any frames, else the rxPacketsReceivedOK would be something else than 0. The different message types are documented here: https://docs.loraserver.io/lora-gateway-bridge/use/data/. Note that the .../ack topic is part of LoRa Gateway Bridge 2.2.0 (I believe 2.1.5 or 2.1.6 is running on the Laird gateway).

Hopefully this helps!

Hello Brocaar, thank you!

I thought I should expect that, now I am sure of it, thank you. But what am I missing here? My device is sending lora messages but the laird gateway does not seem to be receiving them! Where should I look? What should I do?

Thanks again!

But wasn’t it built in before also?

And maybe it’s worthwhile to mention the warning from the release notes as well: When updating the firmware, the gateway will be reset to factory defaults!