Node as data forwarder

Hi,
I’ve looked at a few nodes. They seem to have specific messages they can send (water level, gps location, etc). I’m interested in finding a node that accepts random data from an interface (USB?) and slowly sends the data to the concentrator. Using AT-commands is not a good fit.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,
I only see statements but no questions.

It appears that you would like to use LoRaWAN but are very new to it.

I’m not sure what you mean with ‘random data’ and ‘an interface(USB?)’ but if you write your own firmware many things are possible.

I suggest that you do some homework on LoRaWAN first, read about its concepts, possibilities and limitations, decide what your requirements are and then ask targeted questions.

I am new to LoRaWAN too and understood his request perfectly.

He wants to receive random data (for testing something randomly say, keep alive and the like …) .

It makes sense in many contexts. I also want to know.

You are interpreting the request. And my interpretation of that question differs from yours. That is why @bluejedi asks what the poster wants so we don’t have to guess or chance interpreting the request wrongly.

2 Likes

MKlein understood me correctly. I want to send data that I create from a node, not just send things that manufacturers have hard coded into their firmware (GPS, accelerometer data for multiple axes, etc). I’ve seen that some messaging is possible from a RAK7200, but you have to type modem-type AT-commands into a console. Does anyone know of a node that lets you (USB connection?) interface to a source of data and send the result?

Ehhh, so you want to generate random data…?

When someone told the moderators this smelt like trolling I thought it was not. Now, I’m in doubt. Anyay, Professional serial to LoRaWan bridge might help if you don’t want random data.

1 Like

i think you dont have understood LoRaWAN.

the node must interpret the data that it has to send.
and on the other side this data has to be decoded.

what you can do is to listen on a serial interface on the node side and send the data and let the receiving side do the interpretation of the data.
but that would not be a good thing regarding fair use of sending time.

you should give an example of what you want to do.
perhaps we all can understand you better then.

Don’t try to play wise guy. We do not appreciate such behavior on the forum.

You seem unable to clearly describe your own requirements (independent from LoRaWAN). That is not a good starting point for asking help.

As said before, many things are possible if you write your own firmware but it will be your own responsibility to convert your data into a form that can be send via LoRaWAN messages, both uplink and downlink.
If you use prebuild devices from manufacturers then you will be bound to the functions that such device was designed for.

You are still not clear and not providing details in your latest response e.g.:

• What type of interface?
  • What type of data?
  • “Data that I create”, what data and where do you create it that it has to be transferred to a LoRaWAN node?
  • “but you have to type modem-type AT-commands into a console”
    Do you really? What about asking different questions? e.g. ‘how can I get data from A to B’ (where you of course have to clearly specify A and B yourself).

Your questions lack scope and detail, therefore answers can be many and complex.

Based on your latest response I can only repeat my previous advice:

• Decide what your requirements are and then ask specific targeted questions.
  • Do some homework on LoRaWAN first, read about its concepts, possibilities and limitations.

Be clear and specific and provide details.

I’m sorry. I’m not trolling. I come from an communications engineering background. Random data in that context means that what is sent is different from message to message. You don’t send from a fixed set of messages.

If you are looking for a device that is a usb host that can query usb devices and send the data to a LoRaWAN backend you could consider a raspberry pi with a RN2483/2903.

I found in guthub a nodejs library called lora-packet , here is their description ‘: A pure node.js library to decode and encode packets for LoRa/LoRaWANTM radio communication, based on the specification from the LoRa Alliance (based on V1.0.2 final), and as used by The Things Network.’ … Perhaps you can use it or as a reference. It allows you to create your own packets as if they came from a radio …

Based on the fact that you are still not providing any more information while you have been asked several times to do so, it definitely looks like trolling.
We are asking so we can possibly help you. @kersing was the only person with a crystal ball here but unfortunately that has worn out long ago.

Unless this thread is actually going to contain some substance we may better close it.

Thanks,
I think that is the way to go.

@Kersing provided want I was asking for.

That is not what you have asked for so you are just lucky that you got a good answer.