Poly Packet Forwarder?

(Mediocre Lora User) #1

Hello,

I've come across a few topics on this forum that mention a 'poly packet forwarder'.
I was wondering what this piece of software is used for, and what the main differences are with a regular packet forwarder.

Thanks in advance.

(Hylke Visser) #2

Poly forwarders are used to connect to multiple networks at the same time. We do not recommend this, as it may make your gateway non-compliant with regulations and it breaks message routing for devices if they are registered on both networks.

I understand that poly-forwarders might break the routing in this case and I understand that downlinks become more difficult.

If I understood correctly TTN’s poly-forwarder (Kersing’s) are not further developped and are regarded as depracted?

My question:
Which forwarders are capable to forward simultaneously to multiple networks and which are not?

Semtech’s reference forwarder (‘legacy’): guess no?

Background:
For gateway operators this is interesting, because it might allow unbundling gateways from specific networks or clouds.
For local communites this feature might help to convince operators of gateways in private networks to open them for TTN without forcing them to use TTN themselves.

Thanks

Christian

(Thomas Graf) #4

That is really interesting how to get peering without polypacketforwarder.

My target customer/application is not going to be relying on a online-cloud connection. There will be a local backend and local processing of the packts.
For me that means at some point I’ll have to leave TTN behind and ignore all other packets that could be forwarded to TTN? Or will there be some alternative peering?

(Jac Kersing) #5

TTN released an newly developed packet forwarder written in Go. This is no longer maintained.

Poly forwarder might still be maintained by @devlaam.

I’ve restructured poly forwarder to create MP forwarder which supports the Semtech protocol version 1 and ttn-gateway-connector protocol. It also allows multiple back-ends, however TTN discourages connecting to multiple back-ends because it will at some time result in the gateway exceeding legal transmission limits and scheduling conflicts for downlink transmissions. You can use the feature with only one back-end allowed to provide downlinks while sending uplinks to multiple back-ends. While the software supports for it, I do not provide support for multiple back-end connections with active downlinks.
MP forwarder is actively being developed.

You can look into creating your own back-end with connection to TTN. This allows you to hand off TTN packets to TTN and TTN to forward packets for your nodes to your back-end. @htdvisser can probably point you to the documentation on how to set this up.

(Hylke Visser) #6

Our v3 backend will be perfect for offline or internal network deployments. Also, it will (not immediately, but later) support peering with other networks (such as TTN’s public community network).

(Thomas Graf) #7

Ok then everything is expected/needed for me. Thanks for clarification.