Replacing gateway

My Mikrotik gateway stopped to work and I sent it back as a warranty case. When I get it back it will be probably not the same gateway. Could I reuse my application and devices setup with new gateway or should I make all over again?

Gateways have no unique role in LoRaWAN at all, the protocol is entirely a contract between the nodes and the servers, gateways just pass traffic with no idea what it even means.

Additionally in the community network ownership of gateways is irrelevant - your nodes could be using someone else’s nearby gateway, other peoples nodes could be using yours. In fact nodes use all of the gateways in range of their current air settings all of the time; the network combines the reports from the gateways into a single copy of a given message, and tries to identify the closest gateway (via signal quality) on the infrequent occasions where a downlink needs to be sent in reply.

(That said, there are tiny demo-scale networks where the network server software runs on the processor inside the gateway; but those aren’t TTN and so aren’t on topic here)

2 Likes

Thank You for the explanation.