RN2483 not joining OTAA

Hi,

I’ve been having some issues with OTAA joining on the TTN network recently. I’m using the Pictail with a Microchip RN2483 module. When I try to join the network using data rate 3 to 5 it works without any issues but when I try to use data rate 0 to 2 it always denies the join request. If I then check the spreading factor used, the module returns sf9 (radio get sf --> sf9)

Data rate 0 to 2 do work when using ABP and sending a confirmed message. Did anyone else encounter this problem before?

Kind regards

Hi @JeroenAka, I seem to be having the exact same issue. Did you figure out how to OTAA join with DR 0-2 using that Microchip module at some point?

Cheers

11 months later !

What is your firmware version ?
RN2483 or 2483A ?

Yeah, we just discovered this issue. And actually we’re not using TTN, but the description of the problem is otherwise too close to ignore. The FW version is

RN2483 1.0.5 Oct 31 2018 15:06:u5272:

but we also had 1.0.4 on another device and it didn’t work.

Based on what @kersing once told me and @BoRRoZ ’ reply, I would say it is maybe a (hardware?) bug in the RN2483, which may be solved in the -A version.
I’m seeing the same happening here, although I have not yet tried sending confirmed messages on ABP.
I thought it was my programming, but now I see it may be an issue with the revision of the chip.

I am running on RN2483 1.0.1 Dec 15 2015 09:38:09 which is probably the same hardware revision.

We have RN2483A HW btw. Unfortunately. :slight_smile: