Small LoRaWAN nodes

just an idea … is this feasible ?

NavSpark mini + RFM95W
that would create a small TTN node with GPS

1 Like

hi thomas
sorry a typo, I’m using a HOPE RFM95W/868MHz
my node (arduino + hope xbee shield + xbee-adapter + rfm95w)
IBM LMIC with change in lmic/config.h
#define CFG_eu868 1
//#define CFG_us915 1
//#define CFG_sx1272_radio 1
#define CFG_sx1276_radio 1 <----
It would be nice, having a debug program printing all registers out and a library with extended debug statements

Ok. Then most likely your SPI and/or slaveselect pins are not properly connected.

new : raspberry PI zero

2 Likes

Loving the tiny nodes! Has anyone weighed them?

I’m working on a use case for a device to track hedgehogs (see http://www.smartearthnetwork.com/pages-104 )
and the device needs to weigh <10g.

Keen to hear how heavy your devices are :smile:

Interesting.

The node is 4g! The lightest GPS I have, with antenna, 7g.

The rest will be a tradeoff between battery lifetime and weight.

1 Like

@markstanley You could always add wireless charging to the hedgehog device, then let it sleep on the charger. Job done!

Andrew

1 Like

@thinginnovations a world first a battery charger that comes with a saucer of milk!

@thomas is that the teensy+hope one? 4g is brilliant. I’vejust bought a gps module but it’s 9g on its own, so I think gps might be out in favour of triangulation across a few gateways.

1 Like

LoRa localisation is not supported in the current generation of concentrators/gateways. It might take a while before it will be available in low-end gateways. If you need something now, think of another solution.

built the small one: Teensy-LC & RFM95W:
I used this node-address: 0x5A4801AA, but without any gateway nearby I think that my “hello world” arrived only some snow flakes in the air
------------------------------ serial monitor dump --------------------------------------
entering os_init
os_init passed
LMIC_reset passed
LMIC_setAdrMode(0) passed
LMIC_setLinkCheckMode(0) passed
LMIC_disableTracking passed
LMIC_stopPingable passed
LMIC_setDrTxpow(DR_SF11,14) passed
Time: 10
Send, txCnhl: 0
Opmode check: ok
Event EV_TXCOMPLETE, time: 17
Time: 130
Send, txCnhl: 3
Event EV_TXCOMPLETE, time: 137
Time: 250
Send, txCnhl: 0
Event EV_TXCOMPLETE, time: 257

foto: not an exhibition item

3 Likes

Hi Markus, PM (private message? ) if so i have checked but i cant find find a way to send a private message to you. my mail is goudsmitATnoblestreetDOTeu.
regards

arnaud

What is your cpu markus ?

Smaller is better :smile:

There is this module from Nemeus (with also sigfox if needed).

1 Like

:slight_smile: Any information on pricing?

Sell by various distributors (mainly in Europe). So prices should be asked to them (no public price list)

Direct sales for other Areas is possible I suppose.Not sure you can buy few pieces…

I have built a teensy/hope device and at 2nd attempt I got it working - thanks to the guidance on the wiki.
Now I am keen to add a GPS module…

In order to manage the power demands I want to be able to switch the GPS and the Hope radio on and off as required. I’ve got a vague idea that I can probably do this with some kind of transistor between the GPS and 3v3, linked to a spare IO pin I can control from the teensy. Same for the radio module.

Am I right? Is there a better way? Has anyone done this already (and can I copy you?!!)

Thanks, Mark

FET would be better than a transistor, I’ll dig out what I used on the flood sensors.

Andrew

1 Like

I’m going to chip in just because I have some Anarduino miniwireless boards and would like to keep track of this thread. Please return to your normal viewing…

1 Like

Thanks Andrew!

Another small node made from Teensy 3.2 & Modtronix inAir9B (SX1276)
wired as in WIKI : How to build a Teensy TTN node, tested with LMIC 1.5 and the ttn-send program
{
“data_raw”: “QKsBSFoAAAABg6SXO6k9RFDrykMgCCBRkZLSRqNwvd5QBENwhDSb/ZuHrw==”,
“gateway_eui”: “B827EBFFFFE05FEF”,
“node_eui”: “5A4801AB”,
“frequency”: 868.1,
“data_plain”: “Hello from Teensy3.2 & inAir9B”,
“time”: “2016-01-15T14:17:49.201Z”,
“rssi”: -47,
“snr”: 9.0,
“datarate”: “SF7BW125”,
“data”: “SGVsbG8gZnJvbSBUZWVuc3kzLjIgJiBpbkFpcjlC”
}