So TTN Global Gateways are they open? if not how

(Rustie0125) #1

So
I have been playing with the idea of testing the IOT side of TTN and Im wondering if its possible.

If you look at TTN global network they have a gateway in most major cities countries. Is it possible to setup a Node with OTAA and send a package with live node in courier around the world and track its progress via the established TTN network?

to see the number of 'hops'.. IP adresses ? calculate latency ?
No , that's not possible imho, also the connected gateways are not owned by TTN.

• I didn't understand the question I see now.
    ' roaming ' like with your mobile phone (between different networks >) is integrated in the next LoRaWAN spec

The LoRA Alliance believes the addition of roaming capability, which was announced at Mobile World Congress 2017 (MWC) in Barcelona, means that operators can enhance coverage within countries by network sharing, and enable seamless international use for enterprises that cross national borders.

By enhancing collaboration between multiple networks, offering increased capacity and extending device battery life in areas where overlapping LoRaWAN networks exist, roaming will let operators get more out of their network estate.

By allowing devices to connect to different networks depending on their location, it also makes use cases, such as baggage monitoring or shipment tracking, that require data to be sent from sensors moving all around the world more viable.

If you mean:

"will a LoRaWAN node connected to a things network application be able to send messages through any TTN gateway that it can see, even if it's owned by someone else",

then yes, it should be able to.

The gateways are effectively transparent to traffic, and just forward packets back to their router — this is one of the key advantages of TTN over a local supplier with their own gateways: "all" TTN gateways forward LoRaWAN traffic to TTN's servers.

There are some practical limitations to this though, depending on the global region, the gateways may be using a different router endpoint (you assign a regional router to the TTN application that you create), and the transmission frequencies may be different from your home region.

I've done an actual journey with a LoRaWAN device running, picked up the TTN gateways in Liverpool when I set off, and got traffic going through a gateway in Oxford as I went past on the ring road, in the same OTAA session.

(Rustie0125) #4

Hi Yes

That is what I meant, thank you for the answer. it is an attractive concept. Im based in south africa and since SA and EU is on same ISM band I should theoretically be able to send a package to EU and back and track its Journey.... Will be very cool case study....