SX127X compatibility with Sigfox

(Tidratec) #1

A quick question to the SX127X experts:

Is it possible to have a node that is compatible at the same time with a LORAWAN network (LORA mode) and the Sigfox network (FSK mode)?

On the STM32 Lorawan discovery board (using the SX1276), there is a "Sigfox ready" mention:

Is it possible or just a mistake?

(Jose Marcelino) #2

Yes it is possible, in fact a popular upcoming multi-protocol board is doing exactly that. :slight_smile:

Sadly the opposite isn't, i.e. using one of the many - and very cheap - Sigfox chips for LoRa.

(Moebius L) #3

Hello, does anybody knows more about how to convert a SX1276 to talk Sigfox?

I got a few Whisper Node LoRa boards, which are using RFM95 (SX1276), and I would like to get some experience with Sigfox as well.

Thank you

If you just want to gain experience with Sigfox just contact the representing company in your country. Very likely they will send you a free sample module and an account for testing on their network if you have a serious use-case. At least in the Netherlands Aerea does that, they are very cooperative and answer any questions you have, they seem like an agile organisation to me with a “just do it” mentality.

But indeed the stated fact that an SX127x (with TCXO) can also be used for Sigfox communication is very interesting for mass-production: if one technology (or company) fails you can migrate to the other without having to upgrade / migrate your hardware (although large-scale software updates in the field are also a challenge).

And as described on the Sigfox makers site embedding Sigfox functionality on an SX1272 or SX1276 looks like a piece of cake.

(LoRaTracker) #5

Can anyone point out a Hope RFM9x or Dorji DRF127x style module that is available with TXCO ?

Nothing obvious to me on either manufacturers web site.

(Tidratec) #6

What’s the sleep consumption of a TCXO based module by the way? My understanding is it’s much more than one with an xtal. Do you have the value for the Murata module?

Indeed the Murata CMWX1ZZABZ-078 module contains a TCXO according to specs.

However the datasheet doesn’t list the deep-sleep / hibernate current which is peculiar for a device targeted at low power applications.

This blog article also mentions a module containing a TCXO and explicitly mentions the high sleep current of 600 uA making it unsuitable for low power / battery operated devices when powered continuously.

Sigfox modules are also using TCXO I understand, however they are cheap and low power. As far as I understand they may have an external TCXO and probably switch off power to it. Eg, see the AX-SFEU example, note the Vtcxo at the power mode control block.

Beware: I’m not an expert nor do I have experience with these modules yet, just doing some googling :relaxed:.