The Things Gateway activation

Hi
I have been trying to activate Things Gateway (Skickstarter Gateway).

I try to activate via: https://ttn.fyi/activate , it redirect to :The Things Kickstarter Gateway | The Things Stack for LoRaWAN

I’ve been reading several post related to my problem and I’m unable to see what to do.

Thanks

What problem(s) are you seeing? How far are you getting through the process? Have you registered all details in your console → gateway → add gateway (note not claim gateway, and you do not need a gw eui to register), what do status leds show? What firmware version is your gw? Was it previously on TTN v2?..… some details and we can start to help and make suggestions otherwise it’s guess work for the forum volunteers…. :wink:

Hi Jeff,
What problem are you seeing?
I can’t reach to the activation page https://ttn.fyi/activate

How far are you getting through the process?
I have created the gateway on the console and did the wifi connection

Have you registered all details in your console → gateway → add gateway (note not claim gateway, and you do not need a gw eui to register)-
yes

What do status leds show?
The leds show first solid led and second flashing slowly
What firmware version is your gw?
V1.0.5

Was it previously on TTN v2
no it is a new gateway trying to connect

many thanks

That should redirect to:
https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/gateways/thethingskickstartergateway/
but not to worry you have it directly :slight_smile:

Note:

per the above linked document…

I see you have populated it with 27…63, where did you get that from? Why put it in? Try to delete and update - delete gw & register again if needed (you will need to change GW ID if deleting as these cant be reused, sorry)…did you generate the API key and enter that (simple copy/paste)? Can you see the GW on your local router/AP? Has it taken an IP address under DHCP ok?

Updated to add:
I see

And though official docs say need 1.0.8, IIRC one of the TTI core team posted previously that should be ok with 1.0.7. I think you may get problems with 1.0.5. Give it a try per above and the docs and leave for 48 hrs to see…if recognised on the system and if in the general settings you have ticked the boxes to allow visibility in the network and auto updates etc. under General Settings tab, then hopefully it should auto update to 1.0.8 if not even 1.0.9 in more recent times - to cover cert changes if I recall. If that fails follow the doc link to do firmware update using SD card…only issue thereafter is you need to leave sd card in place for future good running IIRC which may not be ideal but I gather works ok.

Hi Jeff

I see you have populated it with 27…63, where did you get that from?

I don’t have EUI for my gateway when I bought the gateway it did not come with eui. Though I followed the following link

‘’different (random) EUI.’ Which I found at this page

Gateway Registration | The Things Network

Why put it in?

It shows on the GW register that I have to use eui

I can’t reach to the activation page

I have connected my GW to the router using ethernet cable.

Then I did

And get to this page

I have connected my laptop to the GW via the link 192/168/84.1/info and have the following

What should I do next please? Should I wait for 5 minutes, 48hours or do I need to do other step

On my console I have the following which shows my GW is not connected

If I have to update my firmware to 1.0.8

Where can I find this firmware and how to update it

That’s because you don’t need one…… per the documentation and info on this very forum!

Why go off piste…. Vs follow the documentation?

Nope, that is where you enter one if needed…… per the documentation it isn’t and can be left blank (note once registered the gw console page will list gw eui with status n/a).

That is good and to be preferred to using WiFi for stability and some users have reported issues in the past

Use the documentation and advice given here and elsewhere on the forum….basically start again and do it the documented way.

If you do need to update then…… the link is in the documentation……definite pattern emerging here :wink: good luck!

1 Like

if you look at my attached image it shows red star on top of the eui box and the webpage will not allow to creat

I filed a github issue as this field should not be mandatory.

1 Like

Thanks, Kersing the website issue has been resolved for registering the gateway and also, I managed to update the firmware on the gateway. However, I am still unable to activate the gateway the new things I managed to do is that the I got two solid Leds and the third is flashing since last night.

I am not sure if the server address is right I have it as ‘‘eu1.cloud.thethings.network’’ I copied this and past it at the gateway
Can anyone advice about the right server address please?

Hi,

I am facing same issue, i am stuck with following

I have got TTN-GW-915
I am using: nam1.cloud.thethings.network as my gateway server address and US_902_928_FSB_2 as the frequency plan.

I see following status LED sequence:
1st LED ON
2nd LED ON
after couple seconds all LEDs go OFF
then 1st LED ON
2nd LED ON
after couple seconds all LEDs go OFF

@ohl ,please let me know whether you were able to resolve this issue.

No, I am still unable to resolve the issue and asked on this community platform for help however I did not get enough help to resolve it

In one of your screenshots I see “Gateway Card: ND”, (Not Detected I think).
I remember seeing an issue like that on the two TheThingsGateways that I helped migrate to TTNv3.
I found the instructions on the official page not very clear, even a bit confusing.
Unfortunately I do not have access to those gateways anymore (was helping someone else).

It was a bit weird, perhaps even a bug in the firmware. I got the “Gateway card: ND” symptom when trying to configure WiFi at the same time as entering the gateway id and gateway key. For me, the solution was to NOT setup WiFi, just first setup basic gateway settings, let it connect, etc, then later set up the WiFi parameters.

1 Like

I recall similar advice/suggestion from somewhile back - may have been firmware dependant… I always set up on wired e’net 1st before deployment and have only occasionally used wifi on a TT(K)GW so haven’t seen the issue 1st hand.

Users should also try Forum search…