The Things Indoor Gateway availability

Hello,
Can anyone tell me that, The Things Indoor Gateway is available for Indian frequency or not?

Please please ask Mr Google to see if there are any obvious hits - it will save you so much time rather than waiting for a reply.

Second entry on a Google search for “The Things Indoor Gateway is available for Indian frequency” is:

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsindoor/

And the answer is …

I was looking at RS Components (UK) site for TTIG-868 yesterday and am sure I spotted they had added a TTIG-868IN version on top of EU & UK (not sure if Mains pwr shoe is right or not…)

Research carefully if this is actually the gateway you want.

It is quite limited and inflexible, does not locally expose as much of the detail as one would like to see when testing and debugging nodes and there at least have been some software problems causing performance issues (eg, dropping the wifi connection if it doesn’t regularly see uplinks) which you as an individual owner have no way to fix.

The vast majority of gateways allow you to build all of the critical software components from source, giving you flexibility for network monitoring, to adapt to new protocols and strategies, to add remote administration, and to fix bugs.

The idea of a cheap “plug it in and it works” gateway is great, but the closed implementation… not so much.

To be fair and balanced the vast majority of more ‘open’ and/or ‘flexible’ GW’s also cost a damned sight more than (UK price) £75 per inc VAT! :wink:

You pay your money & take your choice :slight_smile: Its the cheapest full 8 channel LoRaWAN GW widely available and easily set up by neophytes…

1 Like

If I wanted a cheap home gateway in the price class of the TTIG right now, I’d get a pygate concentrator and a pi zero and some 8cm jumper wires rather than their compute module, so that I could run a standard open packet forwarder rather than their yet to be published solution.

Granted, there’s a little bit of figuring out to be done there, but not much, the signals look standard with the possible addition of an apparent software controlled power switch, which could probably just be hard wired. There’s not tutorial for this at present, but all of the needed information is available so once one person does it anyone can… there was an era when people were buying multitech line cards to hand wire to pi’s, too.

But, much like the idea of so buying a TTIG to create an open firmware, I don’t really have a need for another low end indoor gateway, so work goes instead into projects driven by a need.

‘You’ might :slight_smile: (I know from posting history that you have significant experience with such embedded systems and a ‘passion’ for FOSS systems) But would that give you a more open platform with the (open source) s/w acess you desire - I see comments saying that s/w repository not open yet - and more importantly is that a plug and go solution for someone who doent want to get into the jumpers, bits and bytes and just wants get a cheap GW up and running?! :wink:

Some people just want to deploy a GW and then place off the shelf LoRaWAN nodes without fiddling or getting into the details of the deployed devices or if they want to play then their interest is focussed on the Nodes, not worrying about the GW build.

Personally I have deployed double digit TTIGs where appropriate, other fire and forget systems (here I would include the like of Dragino LPS8 and Laird RG-1xx, Multitech MTCAP AEP and their ilk) as well as more flexible open systems ranging from RPi’s (0W through 3B+ though not yet 4’s as I consider these overkill for basic GW’s and getting too pwr hungry!) with Conc Cards, RAK Pilots etc., through Closed/Higher end systems a la Multitech and RAK7249’s etc., with current/historic clients using Kerlink, Tektelic, Cisco, Gentek & others… Frankly its horses for courses and I woudld suggest start simple, and go large where needed :slight_smile:

OP doesnt call out a desire or need to get in and fiddle but fact that he ref’s the TTIG vs other available units suggests interest is at lower end and less flexible needs (at this time).

… just saying :wink:

Updated to add: Your edits to post above noted and understood - as I said horses for courses :+1:

That was my comment and is specifically why I’d wire in a pi so that I could run the standard open-source and maintainable Semtech packet forwarder, rather than plug in a pycom module that would need either a software solution they haven’t published yet, or an independent effort to figure out how to run a packet forwarder on an ESP32.

(Granted I wouldn’t actually field deploy with a pi… probably use the NOR-flash based MT7688 module I’m using in my current field gateway platform, but that’s not user friendly for experiments the way a pi is)

The asker’s post history suggests some interest in a fairly large field deployment, and there’s a previous query about something to specifically wire into a pi. My gut feeling is that when working on nodes, etc they’ll end up wanting a level of visibility into what is really happening that they’re not going to get from a TTIG.

That’s fine if you’re willing to start over by buying something else. But at present the expensive LoRa concentrator part of the TTIG is locked up inside the TTIG. In contrast I have concentrators that have been hung off of four or five distinct embedded systems.

I’m actually a little surprised no one seems to have gutted their TTIG and wired its concentrator into a pi - it may again be that the people who think to do it have better things to do with their time.

But an adapter board from the pygate header to the pi GPIO… that’s tempting.

You know that I know that (hence my side comment about RPi4 above!) but it isnt evident to anyone new coming in and finding this thread ‘as is’ (e.g. a Google or simple Forum search)… hence my “for balance” comment to help others and offer alternate to your (oft expressed) view.

Am buried at moment with other tasks but ‘gutting’ a TTIG has been on thought roadmap since start of Lockdown :wink: But then again economically why break a known good (well OK!) system when I can by conc cards - e.g. in mPCI format or other for use with Pi specifically offered for the task? :thinking:

Maybe we should have a race to see who can hack one 1st? :rofl:

Where do you get them from? We only have 10cm Dupont cables in the UK.

Well, what did you expect to find in an 868 MHz country :wink:

(don’t forget the velocity factor)

1 Like

Plus point for the UK: Marconi ‘the inventor of radio’.

But I’ll give the US the win on the grounds you had Hedy Lamarr, the inventor of spread spectrum technology.