The Things Uno not connecting with OTAA

I have a problem with my new Things uno board.
But the problem is the same with my custom build rn2483a+trinket board.
I have programmed the things uno with the SendOTAA sketch with arduino IDE 1.8.5.
I see the activation request showing in the TTN console “application data”, but what is weird for me is that in the console there is no response from TTN. Shouldn’t there be?

The gateway that recieves the message is not on TTNmapper, so i don’t know where it is located.
“gtw_id”: “eui-fcc23dfffe0f4f8f”,
I know there is a gateway about 500m from me, but it does not seem to get listed under the gateways when trying to get activated.
I have seen it once, but that was when i used ABP to activate, which works fine.

This morning OTAA worked once. but when i recompiled and uploaded new code, it got stock at OTAA again.
Any suggestions?

I since made a custom end device, with the rn2483 and an adafruit trinket 3.3v and an external antenna, which seem to have the same OTAA problems.

As i don’t know which gateway i connect to, i don’t know if it supports OTAA or not.

Not if there is no gateway in reach @ this moment
I see that the GW that is receiving the join request is more then 500 mtrs away ( RSSI -110) or you have an antenna problem.

I checked now and TTN is working fine, this is how it should look in your application console.
otaa

check your keys ! especially the application key

what I don’t understand is it appears that there are 2 devices added to that application and they both request to join … what’s that ?

do you use the TTN library ??

As i said i don’t know the location of the gateway that is picking up my signal
But i think that the gateway must be in reach, since TTN console gets the activation message?
I will try to move around in the area to look for better coverage.

The keys are correct, i am 100% sure.

As previous said, i have two devices trying to activate at the moment, one the things uno, and one custom made.

Yes i use the standard TheThingsNetwork.h library version 2.5.7

confusing… start by deleting one device from your application and start again.
also difficult to test if you don’t have control over a gateway… only chance is to try again another moment.
also you must be patient when joining OTAA

The result is the same with only one device.
I have tried OTAA all day, and some hours yesteday.

OTAA works fine here so it’s not a network problem

With only the Things Uno running

Maybe snr is too high and the rssi too low?

it should join with that figures… its not close to you but it should work.
If antenna on node is ok… battery power is ok, keys are ok then you can try this (I know sounds stupid but it helps sometimes)

delete the device and then the application.
start a new application with a little different name and add same device and try again.

Ok, i will try that.

I forgot one… reset frame counters

very important… if an OTAA node worked with an application and you switch power off and restart later, you have to reset the frame counter from the device in the console.

creating a new application will always start with a ‘fresh’ frame counter

The frame counters were already at 0 on TTN console. although it was counting earlier.

Are all packets for that gateway at the same frequency (868.1)? In that case the gateway might be single channel and unable to send downlink packets.

The gateway does not seem to be single channel, but nor full 8-channel gateway.
The only responses that go through, come from channel 0, 1 and 2.
But when the things uno try to send on other channels, it simply get “no free channel”
Så maybe this gateway is 3-channel gateway?

Update.
If i move the Things uno just outside of my appartment. i get this

Where the
last activation looks like this

and the first uplink 0 looks like this

And as soon as the node is activated, it all responses go through, on all 8 channels.
Outside it also reaches another gateway which was not always able to reach from inside.

{
“time”: “2018-06-14T11:18:19.299422778Z”,
“frequency”: 867.7,
“modulation”: “LORA”,
“data_rate”: “SF7BW125”,
“coding_rate”: “4/5”,
“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-fcc23dfffe0f4f8f”,
“timestamp”: 2705463228,
“time”: “2018-06-14T11:18:19.281247Z”,
“channel”: 6,
“rssi”: -97,
“snr”: 9
},
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-fffeb827ebff31d1”,
“timestamp”: 1979304484,
“time”: “2018-06-14T11:18:19.273188Z”,
“channel”: 6,
“rssi”: -98,
“snr”: 4
}
]
}

So i guess my problem is coverage?
Does the TTN library support changing the spreading factor?

EDIT:
I just tried moving The Things Uno Inside again, without restarting it, And indeed the second gateway disappeared, but the uplinks still go through just fine.
So it seems that the activation process needs more coverage?

it’s possible that a GW receives your node but the indoor node doesn’t receive the GW’s signal.
you can try switching to ABP