The WORKBENCH part 1

a floating device that transmits down and calculate time of flight… cool !

Okay, but you still would not need a second water pressure sensor on top.

How do you know the current barometric pressure then?

A water pressure sensor is not a barometric pressure sensor and vice versa.

In an open (pressure-less) system, the bottom of the tank and the top of the tank will experience about the same barometric pressure (the absolute difference will be relatively small and be practically constant, independent of changes in barometric pressure). My assumption is that the actual barometric pressure will have little effect on the readings of a water pressure sensor on the bottom of the tank for calculating the height of the water level. But that is just theory. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Amedee you can use a number of float switches they are very reliable.
I made a proto type for a sewage system with a Controllino, this is just a kind of Arduino PLC.
With the Controllino SPI Interface the water levels are transmitted with a RFM95 module.

DSC_1490

XRight, I appreciate that — I just said I would need 2 sensors…

I haven’t tried either, but I followed some time ago a project in the Arduino forum where the maker had too much fluctuations with just the water pressure and had to measure barometric pressure to compensate…
It obviously depends on the volumes you are looking at (to be more precise the height of the water column).

See here for a real case: http://www.globalw.com/support/barocomp.html

25 mb change, which is not exceptional, generates 25 cm difference in sensor readings, that is about 400 litres in my tank…

That particular setup is not particularly low power :wink:

But yes, we can use floaters, or cheap water sensors to estimate the level and that is relatively easy to put in place.

yes I did with the pass through method.
result : 2 x bricked RN2483 and 1 x hmm don’t know

x722

investigating

update - when wired direct to an usb-serial it’s answering, so not completely dead
x723

itsalive

update 2 could revert 2 RN2483 's to 1.03 and they work again :sweat_smile:

update 3 @Charles has an 1.04 update to his RN2483 firmware uploader

1 Like

No it is definitely not low power. :joy:
It had to switch a 2kW engine. The float switches and Controllino work on 24V.
The LoRa part was more for monitoring pump failures and high water levels.

1 Like

Been there, done that

FYI, AwardSpace will block you without notice.
I hooked up an HTTP Integration twice (on different accounts)
First one was blocked after a few days, seconds one after only 3 hours

x724

sometimes it doesn’t have to be a small lipo … it has to be FLAT (wall LoRaWAN project - LoRaWALL© BoRRoZ :wink:)

x725
charging

x726
capacity check - how long will it run when consuming xxx mA and cut off voltage set at x.x V ?

1 Like

Was just thinking if that jumper was on 3.3V or 5V setting. :blush:

1 Like

I am still experimenting with firmware on RN2483 (mostly repairing :sunglasses:)

x728

So to see if the flash went ok I just connected it like this (mini antenna because my gateway is 3 meters away )
Joining TTN through ESPlorer3 with the credentials from another device, and watching the console.

I was supprised to see it joined immediate… but also seen by a gateway almost 13 km away !

x729

this proves to me that antenna hight is a very, if not most important factor :sunglasses:

x730

dedicated Pololu A-star 328PB test board

x731

x732

My method for prototyping with RN2483 is, that I attach the module with double sided tape to the double sided 2.54 prototyping board.
The wirewrapping wire is very thin and goes through a hole to the other side where it is soldered.

x733

x734

I really could recommend one of these
keller_druck
Very well build and with different interfaces …

3 Likes

Not really a DIY project, but it still is a workbench :slight_smile: Hopefully some new projects will roll off it soon :slight_smile:

IMG_4707

2 Likes

And “flux” to help the inspiration flow… cudos!

3 Likes

and still running :sunglasses: (started 24-10-2017 on a single 1.5 battery)

3 Likes

Is there a guide to defining your own cayenne custom sensors/icons?

creating your own I don’t know… but these are 'custom

1 Like