The WORKBENCH part 1

x808
connecting an 8 position pole switch to I2C with the help of
PCF8574 (8 position) or MCP23017 ( 2 x 8 position)

MCP23017 :

PCF8574 :

x811

my virtual design is almost done… just a couple of weeks more

So I am looking for a small board to battery-power my nodes.
Perhaps this will do:
http://www.icstation.com/lithium-battery-charge-discharge-protection-integration-board-boost-voltage-module-p-8996.html
Previously tried this one:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/DC-5V-2-1A-USP-Mobile-Power-Diy-Board-4-2V-Charge-Discharger-boost-battery-protection/32824032545.html
But that has no discharge protection and as a result over-drains the battery.
Any other suggestions?

there exist also 'protected ’ 18650 battery’s, they have a build in protection circuit.

but think of this… when you drain the battery without protection, the MCU brownout will normally shut down the circuit :wink:
also I don’t trust these ‘protection’ circuits from the cheap dc/dc boards… 9 out of 10 don’t work as they advertise.
what you can do is measure (once a day ?) just after Tx the voltage of the battery and send an alarm byte when it’s getting to low.

Most of these ‘protected’ batteries and circuits can let the battery go as low as 2.4V.

I am not convinced its a good idea to let a Lithium battery repeatadly go this low …

hence the battery measurement at regular intervals :sunglasses:

another point I want to make ’ why using rechargable battery’s in low power nodes ’ if a node can run 2 / 3 years on a 3v battery…

x812

these exist too (I used them in different cases) battery holder(s) for 18650 with build-in protection.

I was planning to run a mapper of this with a battery. Let the battery charge overnight and then run it for the best part of a day until the battery dies.
Turns out the amount of parts I would need would for this makes it close to the price of a board with mcu, tx and charger circuit in one.
So another option I would like to explore is to put a mapper/tracker in a boat that would run off the 12V battery but also has a backup. We have a plan to combine a ttn mapper with an anti-theft tracker in a boat and I do not want to fully deplete this guy’s boat battery plus a backup battery would be nice.

this is an interesting charge dc/dc converter to

x813

discription

module

I remove the red (charging) and green ( full) led and extend wires to a red/green pannel led so that I can see on the case if the battery is full.
module works perfect if you need 5v out

x814
complete dc/dc 3.7 v in / 5 v out rechargable power unit with protection.
just connect to an adapter overnight… led switches from red to green when full

1 Like

The weather ball :slight_smile:

It has vents at the bottom which lead to a chamber with an SHT-31D sensor in it.

Using the Grasshopper from Tlera Corp which I have fallen in love with + no fuss Arduino library with a great Lorawan stack. I am still considering various mounting options…

Serge

6 Likes

yours is the outdoor version of Oliver‘s coconut

5 Likes

’ green ’ nodes … love it :sunglasses:

That is indeed the way to go, thank you for the info.

Very nice but black which very easily (over)heats up in direct sunlight, effecting the temperature measurement.

1 Like

Hey @BoRRoZ
Where you get the rifle with the seal (top of the pic)? Is it 5,5/2,1?
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/uploads/default/original/2X/e/e28187eb6769a4069ba0d634f544bc6c8b55f232.jpg

Greets

rifle ?

1 Like

Thank you.

BigG translatet Buchse = Rifle.

Greets

Hallo all,

for outside work you can better use after the test install with Ty-Raps, some Stainless steel perforation mounting band.

Regards

Johan
2700532118-jpg-300Wx300H

you have a link to ?

x815

x816

Dragino LoRa Mini arrived … and its really ’ mini ’ for a complete 328p +sx1276 node

dra%20loramini

1 Like