The things gateway radiated power

Hi, everyone, just wondering has anyone measured the effective isotropic radiated power of the thethings gateway? I am curious about its transmission power. Thank you.

Not the TTN gateway but a standard node output power, did put it in a screened box, antenna over the sensitive area of the box-antenna. The connected receiver was checking for some hours and got the results as on the picture.

Better would be to connect the receiver directly to the SMA of the TTN gateway and measure RF output power, get the antenna-gain from the antenna datasheet and you have the effective radiated power.

The combination antenna and TTN gateway is following the official regulations, but if you connect another (outside) antenna I doubt it’s still valid. Maybe someone can comment…

IMG_4466

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. Right now I don’t have access to the vector network aanalyzer.
I hope the designer of the thethings gateway and node can provide some information on the gateway transmission power, the gain of the default antenna, and the gain of the node. I cannot find these information on any document.
Thank you.

I am also after this information. In New Zealand we are allowed 1 watt e.i.r.p for 915 to 920 MHz then 4 watts from 920 MHz up to 928 MHz. That’s a lot of power, but with my +15 dBi antenna and assuming a loss of 4 dB on my cable to the antenna that means I can transmit at 0.1 watt from the device. However I have no idea what the TTN gateway output power is, so don’t know if I am in breach.

For clarity
30 dBm = 1 watt = 0 dBw e.i.r.p which is the 915 MHz to 920 MHz limit in NZ
36 dBm = 4 watts = 6 dBw e.i.r.p which is the 920 to 928 MHz limit