The Things Indoor Gateway - TTIG part 1

In the cold light of morning with the knowledge that problem was likely the build standard on a mis-shipped unit I took a closer look at the non-functioning unit and compared more closely with the previous four.

Dho! Why didnt I check earlier…

This is lable from the bad unit:

Note the device part number (not the model number which is consistent TBMH100) - TBMH100**915**xxxxx

Another clue is the FCC ID - might expect on a generic part but should have been a clue on a supposed 868Mhz EU unit.

Checking the other four they all look similar to:

Note correct device part number - TBMH100868xxxx

My error was in setting up the 1st 2 units and configuring onto TTN I looked at the label (2nd type) for the EUI # (the 58A0C…) for Console set-up and registration. I then realised that the web view on the device during set up/conf shows all the device details - inc the EUID - so for 3rd onward I just looked at web interface and copied/pasted the EUID from there into the TTN console.

That worked fine for the 1st 4 units but of course the 5th was this US build and I never got to see the label to spot the change :frowning:

Lesson is - check ALL units shipped form RS Components on receipt & double check labels and build standards as you configure and deploy. Just because they came in same batch doesn’t mean they are the same device:wink:

3 Likes

I received my 915 MHz TTIG from RS this afternoon. The USA power adapter was included in the box. Things Network registration succeeded on the first attempt.

This is just the 9th registered gateway in New Jersey, USA (population 9 000 000). We need to better proselytize LoRa on this side of the pond :cry:

TTIG

7 Likes

I receive two units this week, USA 915MHz…

Was un-able to get them to connect to my hidden SSID WiFi network, had to build an open SSID network.

• When will we get new firmware update for these devices?
  • Will the code base be available on GitHub?
  • Is there a place to publish issue as they relate to the TTIG?

thanks

x1265

newgw

1 Like

Lucky you! Unfortunately I’ve still got problem with RS Components.
Please help me, where I can buy one?

Is there any chance the TTIG aggressive disconnect/reconnect logic could be relaxed a little?

I have a single TTIG that I use for testing various end nodes. One node in particular reports once an hour. It’s the only Lora device around and there are no other gateways in reach. The problem is that if the TTIG is in the middle of reconnecting, it seems to drop or not hear the node. This happens quite frequently.

I guess I could do some sort of keep alive node, but that seems a bit of a kludge.

2 Likes

Ours does not seem to set its clock via NTP?

Any ideas how to configure this?

Seen that today. Its a real pain! Will miss packets

That’s not the gateway sync timestamp. That’s the timestamp in the network metadata. I’ll fix that in the next update.

1 Like

Yeah well we could try to increase the disconnect time. But this still means that if your nodes send data while it reconnects, you will still miss packets.

Same here. Before the timestamp disappeared, time was around 800ms stale.

“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-58a0cbfffexxxxxx”,
“timestamp”: 1003390635,
“time”: “1970-01-01T00:00:01.565950394Z”,
“channel”: 0,
“rssi”: -67,
“snr”: 6.75
},

Good point. Lorawan wasn’t really designed for 100% packet delivery applications.

I received yesterday some 868 MHz TTIG (gateways) from RS . The right (EU) power connector was included in the box. The Things Network registration was very succesfull (5 min) on the first attempt.
The location’s are now Netherlands (Uithoorn), but they will be placed somewhere in Friesland (north off the Netherlands) for a monitoring project.
These gateways will be converted to a external antenna as I did above.

1 Like

06%20AM

2 Likes

Great news it looks like they are finally offering a version of the TTIG with a UK mains power shoe:

BAD NEWS: Looks like we are to be ripped off for another £15!!!

I recently bought a branded 8 port 10/100 desk top ethernet switch from Amazon - which came with power adaptor shoes for EU, UK, US & (I think AU or similar) for less than half the cost of this uplift. & thats including VAT! (Edit - and free delivery! :slight_smile: )

@wienkegiezeman are they serious?!

Hi all I had the issue that RS supplied an EU shoe for my TTIGs I ordered.I then pointed out that products sold in the UK have to have a UK plug fitted. I was sent several in the post free.

Simon

I have this gateway since 2 month and screw an external sma connector on it. I think it’s quite good but I prefer to mount it outdoors to shorten the antenna cable length and mount it at a high point.
Is the electronics inside basically able to withstand temperatures down to -20C up to 50C? A water protected case should not be a problem including condensate water outlet.

In principle, SX1308 has a reduced temperature range (0-70), so not suitable for outdoors.

Specs wise probably not, but depending on the external case used, when using TTIG’s built-in power supply it will at least be a bit warmer than the surrounding air temperature.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same but this should be a good isolated (Polystyrene foam) case that does not overheat in summer.
The receiver is quite good, maybe it’s worth. On the other hand 3-5m antenna cable is much easier to realise…