The Things Indoor Gateway - TTIG part 1

@bluesensing1

I have opend the following connections for the TTIG on the firewall:
TTN Connection: TCP / UDP: router.REGION.thethings.network Port:1700
TTN Regestration: TCP: lns.REGION.thethings.network Port: 443
TTN CUPS: TCP: mh.sm.tc Port: 7007
Replace the REGION with your configured region, like eu

I found an error in my Firewall Setting for CUPS

IPv4 TCP/UDP: TTIG -to-> router.REGION.thethings.network:1700 (Traffic)
IPv4 TCP: TTIG -to-> lns.REGION.thethings.network:443 (LNS)
IPv4 TCP: TTIG -to-> rjs.sm.tc:9191 (CUPS)
IPv4 TCP: TTIG -to-> mh.sm.tc:7007 (CUPS Backup)

I just ran into @JackGruber’s addition to the FAQ on https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/docs/gateways/thethingsindoor/faq.html :+1:

Q. I want to operate the gateway behind a firewall

The following connections must be permitted in the firewall.

IP Version Protocol Destination Port Description
IPv4 TCP lns.{eu us au br as}.thethings.network 443 LNS
IPv4 TCP rjs.sm.tc 9191 CUPS
IPv4 TCP mh.sm.tc 7007 CUPS
IPv4 UDP your DNS server(s) 53 DNS

No mention of router.REGION.thethings.network on port 1700, so I guess that’s not needed.

2 Likes

Confirmed. That port is not used by Basic Station which runs on the TTIG.

2 Likes

Yes, in the post i mixed the rules of my ESP8266 singel channel gateway and those of my TTIG GW.
The TTIG use only websockets over TCP 443 for communication with the backend.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Cost of LoRaWAN hardware

Some knowledge about my TTIG I wanted to share.

Gateway status is presented in console (When console operates, but I am not going in to that on this topic) but information derived from behaviour is different from what we know with UDP and protobuf type connected gateways.

With UDP and protobuf connected gateways everytime data is received from the gateway the last seen time is updated. The data that triggers the last seen time can be uplink data packets or status or link-ckeck-data. Using TTNCTL you get the same time as form consol at which the gateway is seen.

In the case of TTIG I observed a different behaviour. Here only uplink packets change the last seen time in console. Any other data will not update the last seen time. TTNCTL is no presenting an up to date last seen time.

As a result of this, a fully operational TTIG that has not received any uplink packet since powering on can have a last seen time in console of hours or many days ago!.

I think this is information you might want to know.

Correction: TTNCTL is not updated by any link activity!

5 Likes

Someone know where to find the connector to the power outlet for TTIG now?

Do you mean the USB-C socket at the bottom or the adapter for the mains socket?

the adapter for the mains socket

See the picture, I think clear

thanks, but i mean where to buy one?

As far as I’m aware the power connectors are not sold separately but one comes included when you buy a TTIG. If you need a different connector for use in a different country that may be an issue.

(Many/most of the TTIG’s handed out at The Things Conference 2019 in Amsterdam did not have it included.)

And my was buy to RS just after the TTC2019 and the connector was not included

Hi,

Is it correct that an TTIG not showing the actual coordinates of placement in the metadata?
I’ve set it right on TTN console.

TTNmapper recognizes the gateway but in actual metadata it is not present.
On http://noc.thethingsnetwork.org/ json output it isn’t present as well…
On https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/gateway-data/user/ the gateway coordinates are present.

thanx in advance.

Will this gateway work with The things stack v3? I haven’t found any config option to change the server yet

Yes it will…all in good time - keep on V2 for now.

Hi everybody I experienced the same issue (problem) My TTN Indoor GW did not receive anything from curl -lv 3.121.98.110:7007 (or curl -Iv https://mh.sm.tc:7007/) no answer .
I try to delete it , to recreate it , but still nothing . status unknown, impossible to communicate with servers .

I have the same behaviour. My TTIG doesn’t update the status in console, only when receives uplinks from devices.

The problem is TTN Mapper, which will remove this Gateway from its database if the status is not updated in hours.

Is there a workaround to fix it?

No, search the forum for the many topics on this.