TTGO T-Beam topic

Hi All,

I just created a fork from Pycom MicroPython version for the T-Beam v1. It’s available here:

I pushed a pull request for Pycom to see if they accept it.

It’s possible that the same firmware can also work on other TTGO boards.

Pay attention to the PINs, use the Pycom schematics as reference.

3 Likes

Given the “sigfox” in that URL: does this support LoRaWAN?

1 Like

Yes, that is just the name Pycomm uses for their repository (which cloned repositories inherit). Confusing…

2 Likes

HELLO EVERYONE, I M USING TTGO T BEAM LORAWAN FOR MY FYP PROJECT I.E TRAIN TRACKING AND MONITORING SYSTEM, I am trying for designing collision avoidance system, how two modules start sharing data if minimum distance between them is about 5kms, kindly help out me, plz send me demo code of it, if any one have???
i will be very thankfull to him/her.

1 Like

Hi

Does anyone have a example sketch to read GPS coordinates using TTGO T-Beam v1.0 ESP32 with GPS NEO-6M?

thank you

1 Like

Hi there, I’ve been trying to get my ttgo t-beam v0.7 node working (two button model) but after several attempts and sketches the TTN console still shows as ‘unseen’.

I have starting with the ttn-abp.ino sketch from the arduino-lmic example to get a “Hello World” message

• Added my NWKSKEY, APPSKEY and DEVADDR from the TTN Console

• Updated the Pin Mapping in the sketch which I believe corresponds to the T-BEAM v0.7

• Changed the IBM_LMIC_framework\src\lmic\Config.h - uncommented us915 1 (I’m in Australia)

//#define CFG_eu868 1
#define CFG_us915 1

• Completed the steps posted by Zodiac here
  • For the Physical setup on the TTGO, I have cable connecting LORA1 to Pin33.

The sketch compiles, and boot and after a while the GPS lit is blinking (GPS lock) and the Blue led is solid-on. Serial monitor when connected shows messages are sent.

There is no gateways near me, so I wardrive through an area that has a lot TTN gateways according to the TTN Map, with the hope of my message going out.

Any suggestions on what I’m missing?

Should there be a payload I need to enter in the console for the "hello world’ message?

Thanks in Advance.

1 Like

First if you have a v0.7 you don’t need to add a wire to connect lora1 to pin33 - it is only needed on the very first version of the T-Beam which didn’t have a version number printed on the PCB, see my pictures in TTGO T-Beam

I don’t think it will be a problem, just not needed.

Can you have a look at the debug output of the T-Beam on the serial port ? You can use the arduino IDE “serial monitor” for that.

1 Like

Here is the output from the Serial Monitor once the sketch is uploaded

My T-Beam is this one

Considering there was no change i’ve switched over to the MCCI_LoRaWAN_LMIC_library library and remove the IBM LMIC one to avoid conflicts. this library has a specific lorabase_au915.h file. So i’ve updated lmic_project_config.h as per the below.

// Make sure only one of the following is defined (CFG_us915 or CFG_eu868)
#define CFG_au915 1
//#define CFG_eu868 1
//#define CFG_us915 1
1 Like

Did you also check that the code does a LMIC_selectSubBand(1); ? There have also been reports of some of the LMIC variants not respecting this but last time I used it I think it was fine… YMMV.

1 Like

I’ve changed the LMIC libiary to use v3.1.0 of GitHub - mcci-catena/arduino-lmic: LoraWAN-MAC-in-C library, adapted to run under the Arduino environment as it has mentioned explicit support for au915, so my lmic_project_config.h now looks like this

// project-specific definitions
//#define CFG_eu868 1
//#define CFG_us915 1
#define CFG_au915 1
//#define CFG_as923 1
// #define LMIC_COUNTRY_CODE LMIC_COUNTRY_CODE_JP /* for as923-JP */
//#define CFG_kr920 1
//#define CFG_in866 1
#define CFG_sx1276_radio 1
//#define LMIC_USE_INTERRUPTS

The ttn-abp.ino example has been updated so, I started with a new example file and added my NWKSKEY, APPSKEY and DEVADDR and change the pin mapping as per the above. Compiles OK, and serial monitor shows the below EV-TXSTART and packet queued. (note: I’m not in range of a gateway). The message only appeared once.

1 Like

That picture does not identify the version of your board.
It could be V0.5, V0.6, V0.7 or even another 0.x version.

There should be a version number with date somewhere on the PCB similar to:

T22_V05

The T22 indicates T-Beam, the V05 indicates version 0.5.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes I found its a

T22_V07

Based on the above, are my pin mappings correct?

Another unsuccessful wardrive today, TTN console still shows ‘unseen’

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from TTGO T-Beam:

Hi,

I got my TTGO beam TTN tracker working - kind of. On a bright day it gets a GPS fix for a few hours and dies afterwards. On a rainy day, no way.

DeuxVis suggested replacing the GPS antenna. Anyone experience with this issue? What antenna should I try?

Geert

1 Like

I have had a really huge improvement with those compared to the T-Beam original :

I’m linking for the models, I’m not endorsing those particular sellers you might find better deals at others.

1 Like

Hello
From Lilygo shop on ali, I see there are boards in version V1.0 and V1.1, both with AXP192.
Do you now the differences between those?
Did you test deep-sleep on V1.1 and get good results?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi,
So, LilyGO have a new T-Beam version 1.1, but detailed information appears lacking (again).

My experience with LilyGO is that they are very poor at providing and updating documentation. I also can’t remember having ever seen documentation that describes what’s new and other changes for new releases of their products. So we probably will have to rely on experiences from users of this board for more information.

LilyGO shows below pinout of the T-Beam v1.1 on the product page on their AliExpress shop but information about v1.1 (and even older versions) is not available on their T-Beam GitHub repository (yet).

T-Beam v1.1 pinout diagram:

TTGO T-Beam v1.1 Pinout Diagram

To see full image size: Right-click image and select ‘open image in new tab’.

If someone has more information about the new T-Beam v1.1 then please share in this topic.

1 Like

I compared the descriptions of v1.0 and v1.1. What I found in the v1.1 description which is not in the v1.0 one is the following:
There are 4 LEDs show the battery status in real time
Add reverse battery protection module

As I don’t have my T-Beam yet, does the v1.0 have 4 LEDs for battery indication and a battery protection module?

I ordered a v1.0 a few days ago, I thought that this is the newest version. Nevertheless, I hope that the differences are not that big. But at the moment, the v1.1 cost a little bit more than the v1.0. I ordered my v1.0 with an OLED screen for around 23$ (with shipping). I find the v1.1 one without an OLED screen for around 27$ (with shipping).

2 Likes

Lewis He from LilyGO company has recently published TTGO T-Beam dev. board schematic files for:

1. V0.7 - 2018 model
  2. V1.0 - 2019 model
  3. V1.1 - most recent for now
4 Likes

So LilyGO have a new GitHub account.

New: LILYGO team · GitHub
Old: LilyGO (LILYGO) · GitHub

Hopefully they will come with written documentation that also describes what’s new and differences with different/previous versions of same products.
(Until recently it was mostly ‘search the differences’ left up to the customer.)

v1.0 (luckily) does not have a 4-LED battery level indicator.

2 Likes

kizniche / ttgo-tbeam-ttn-tracker

Hey guys. I’m a little late to the party but im having some issues with kizniche’s tracker sketch. I’ve been reading the issue requests on his Github and none of them are really helping me.
The problem I’m having is that I only get the activation message in TTN Console → data, so im wondering what’s faulty about my setup.
I’ve used the right credentials for OTAA, set up my band in mcci project config and everything else thats provided in his readme.
Also, my end node is trying to activate itself over and over again with no uplink coming through.
This is the output from my activation tab:

{
“time”: “2020-06-07T13:35:55.731483096Z”,
“frequency”: 868.5,
“modulation”: “LORA”,
“data_rate”: “SF8BW125”,
“coding_rate”: “4/5”,
“gateways”: [
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-b827ebfffe34bb20”,
“timestamp”: 3666486788,
“time”: “2020-06-07T13:35:55.711068Z”,
“channel”: 2,
“rssi”: -118,
“snr”: -3.5
},
{
“gtw_id”: “eui-b827ebfffe6b4594”,
“timestamp”: 787828300,
“time”: “2020-06-07T13:35:55.717715Z”,
“channel”: 2,
“rssi”: -114,
“snr”: 0.8
}
]
}

Anyone over here able to identify my problem?
I’m using the T22_v1.0 revision of the board.

2 Likes