New gateway: The Things Indoor Gateway

yes you’ve mentioned that before :roll_eyes:

I have it too and I’ve tested that, when it’s flashing green, it still is able to receive data from a node.
However I’m sure TTI is aware of this and we hope for an explanation / solution.

In response to the "flashing green LED " question:

Yes that’s normal behavior.

If there’s no traffic on your gateway for about 60s, the WebSocket(WS) connection to the network is dropped intentionally and the gateway will re-connect. During reconnection, the LED will flash green.

The reason for this to not have gateways actively connected to the network and taking up resources when there’s no traffic (since WS requires a persistent connection).

2 Likes

That could also explain the occasional delays I see between the node sending an uplink and the time I receive it in the backend.

3 Likes

Thank you - that was very helpful!

2 Likes

Which are the 2 rf connectors in the concentrator board?
One seems like an UFL MHF1, the other is a MMCX or something completely different?

Wouldn’t it make sense to increase the WebSocket(WS) timeout to 5 or 10 minutes or to adjust it dynamically?

I noticed that it takes ~2 seconds when the packet was received by the TTIG till it starts a new WS connection and another second till the connection is established and the packet get’s send. If the packet is received by multiple gateways deduplication doesn’t work anymore and the packet shows up as “retry” in the TTN console. Also in conditions where rx packet frequency is between 1 to 10 minutes it might cause more load in the backend then leaving the session established…

TTIG WS established -> immediate transmit of the packet to TTN
07:12:43.703939 IP LorixOne.44329 > 52.169.76.203.1700: RADIUS, Access-Request (1), id: 0x83 length: 243
07:12:43.711171 IP IC880a-RPi.41703 > 52.169.76.203.1700: RADIUS, Access-Request (1), id: 0x79 length: 243
07:12:43.734337 IP TTIG.17829 > 52.169.76.203.443: Flags [P.], seq 848:1221, ack 1814, win 5840, length 373#

TTIG WS NOT established -> 2 seconds till tcp connect:
07:13:45.816602 IP IC880a-RPi.41703 > 52.169.76.203.1700: RADIUS, Access-Request (1), id: 0x0a length: 243
07:13:45.818058 IP LorixOne.44329 > 52.169.76.203.1700: RADIUS, Access-Request (1), id: 0x18 length: 243
07:13:47.912911 IP TTIG.54858 > 52.169.76.203.443: Flags [S], seq 73142392, win 5840, options [mss 1460], length 0

4 Likes

Also to add, wouldn’t the Downlink listen window on the device be missed because of the large time delay between Uplink transmit and when the TTN servers received it? Therefore, unless another active gateway is in the area, you’d never be able to get a Downlink packet to the device.

4 Likes

Has anyone did a coverage testing on TTIG? IS more than 10Km?

The range you get would depend on the local environment and where the TTIG is sited.

In the right position the TTIG is certainly capable of 10km.

1 Like

Have you tried it. I want to purchase it but worry that it might not have that capability of the 10km coverage. It could be a bit relieved if someone did manage to achieve the 10km.

No I have not tried it.

However its an RF device like many others and coverage\range is very dependant on where it is located, for UHF communications in particular range is to a great extent determined by how high you can get the antenna, or in the case of TTIG, how high youi can get the entire device.

You might get more informative answers if you described where you are going to locate it and the surrounding environment. Someone may have used it in similar circumstances.

Noted that. I want to place it on first floor of a building, near a window. Hoping it can communicate more than 2km.

I thin k it could reach 10km only outdoors. 1st floor could be ok, but if around you you have a lot of buidings, it will not be sufficient.
Mine is just under the roof with a different antenna, and can reach 3km. In one single occasion I received signal from >10km.

it also depends on what type of glass you have in the windows, sun blocking glass is known to have an effect on the RF signals

Here is an example fo similar set up to what you describe from a pop-up test earlier in the year in Marlow on the River Thames here in UK. There was no point installing a big expensive outdoor system with high gain ant as location/range was likely constrained by the hills/terrain surrounding the river valley. TTIG behaved perfectly placed in a 1st floor window of a ‘friendly’ office block on the north side of the town. We were looking for 1.5-3km range depending on terrain and building clutter and TTIG more than met the needs.

Your mileage may vary depending on building construction, local clutter, whether glazing is ‘Low-K’ thermal glass or other architectural glass with any of the various oxide/film layers used for colouring or termal reflectivity etc.

I will be testing at a know site with good elevation and wide field of view LoS for 10-20km range in a few weeks time and will post update here once completed. Note also, several folk seem to have modded units to add external ant which may also improve matters. Have not had time to field test one of my own modded TTIG’s yet due to other projects…

https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/community/bourne-end-and-cookham/post/pop-up-trials-for-ttig-in-marlow

1 Like

I placed an order 1 month ago, but the estimated delivery day moved 4 months ahead, till October. Are there any problems with the production ?

1 Like

Good question.

WARNING: To prevent idle speculation, any answers regarding this except from TTI (@wienkegiezeman @johan) will be moderated!
Yes, that includes messages about the available stock for orders of 100 items.

3 Likes

Hi I note that there has been no reply to the above question.after 9 days .I have been now advised by RS for the 5th time that the delivery date has changed . No comment form them or TTI. Sad that noone can be honest about the issues and the delivery date for what I understand is a good product.

S Collins

Also waiting with no Information from TTN

https://de.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1843981/

Now you could order it.

But they were sold out only in a few hours… next chance in a few days, as announced…

and now for individuals also:
https://www.rsonline-privat.de/Products/ProductDetail/The-Things-Industries-TTIG-868-Entwicklungssystem-1843981