TTN UNO - BETA release - Documentation

Hi There!

We shipped the Thing Uno’s out today, so the closed beta group should receive them shortly.

Let’s keep this thread for experiences, example codes, questions and everything other.

To get you started we made a quick start guide over here and you can find a LoRa library and example code over here to get you started.

Cheers!

8 Likes

Love it already! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, almost forgot: we are collaborating with 3d Hubs for a awesome 3d printable enclosure for your Uno!
Order it on 3D hubs over here, or download it and print it yourself! Or remix it and share it with the rest.

Got them in, thanks!

Compiled the test sketch, all working.
Any gateway in Rotterdam, where i can (try to) connect to?

As the Kickstarter shipping date for the gateway is set to 9 months from now, i’ll go with the Multitech mCard-LoRa card and a Raspberry Pi for now.

@Michael Cool! We have ours up (sometimes…) in Rotterdam (near marconiplein) where are you based?

Attention all Apple users!! Especially El Capitan users. @Fokko noticed a bug in the Arduino IDE and El Capitan. A quick workaround was mentioned on the Arduino forum: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=351999.msg2438295#msg2438295

So if you have any issues with the Uno (or any other arduino board) this might be it.

1 Like

I doubt if there are any beta developers out there that have rootless activated on El Captain. But yeah, this can be a problem.

Btw, my device also arrived in a heavily damage package, but it did not suffer from that. It works just fine, at least in the first tests. Still i advise a hard casing for the next round. Other tips:

• Probably you guys already know that the getting started manual needs some heavy rework. Not that there are errors or so, but for the beginner the learning curve maybe too steep.
  • I would deliver the devices working out of the box, so no flashing of software needed.
  • Add an extra push button on the PCB so testing is possible without connecting wires. In my view the time from unboxing to activation of its primary function should be as short as possible, preferable not more then a few minutes.
    That’s it for now, keep up the good work, and congrats with the amazing kickstarter start!
1 Like

Thanks. Good feedback and certain point of attention.

The points you mention are definitely on our list as well, If you like you can add your input on the quick start guide!

We are planning to ship it with a TTN default setup + demo application. That way it would indeed work out of the box.

Thanks for the compliments, let us know how you like it after a few test setups!

I’m also fan of out-of-the-box demo app, like a network unit test:

Add a button to the PCB; when pushed, a ping message is sent to the demo server; if the network replies, turn on the LED (pin 13?); otherwise keep blinking incidentally.

I’m sure we’ll be able to spend some time figuring out a great getting started experience.

I’m in Portland /Rhoon , just to the south of Rotterdam, so marconiplein will be to far away i’m afraid.
But i got the MTAC LoRa card + antenna in today, so i hope to have a working gateway this weekend.

@Michael awesome! Let’s cover Rotterdam asap :wink:

Ok, i think the gateway is working.

The node showed up here: http://thethingsnetwork.org/api/v0/nodes/
the gateway EUI is: 0080000000009D69

Not sure if everything is set up correctly though, as i can’t find it on the /gateway page.

Also, the Uno is sending the first packet ok, but the next buttonpress results in a “busy” message from the serial monitor window.

Got the TTU uploaded the sketch and ran it. On serial monitor;
Reset: RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
Device: RN2483 0.9.5 Mar 24 2015 14:15:33
Battery: 3223
EUI: 0004A30B001A8135
addr: ok
nwkskey: ok
appskey: ok
adr: ok
Pwr: ok
Join: ok
accepted

Does that mean it runs? Cant seem to TX through serial monitor (no response on any command). Is there test code for that?

Anyone know how and where can i check if my node is connected to a gateway?

greets,

Ewoud

The current implementation of The Things Network does not support ADR (adaptive data rate ) nor downstream messages. Of course this will be supported in the new architecture.

For now, I would suggest to switch ADR off (“mac set adr off”) and send unconfirmed messages (“mac tx uncnf 1 AABBCC”). Both can be changed in the included library (LoRa.cpp).

This will prevent retransmissions and automatic decrease of the data rate.

You can change the data rate manually by using "mac set dr " (0=SF12, … ,5 = SF7).

1 Like

I also managed to upload and run the sketch. I get the following:

Battery: 3294
EUI: 0004A30B001A9FE8
accepted

In the library I changed the: (“mac set adr off”) and (“mac tx uncnf 1 AABBCC”), like Thomas mentioned.

as well as I changed the DevAddress to (“mac set devaddr 02012400\r\n”), (I “claimed” 02:01:24:xx here: http://thethingsnetwork.org/wiki/AddressSpace)

When I do LoRa_Lib.LoRaSendAndReceive(); I get:

Sending: ok

m
a
c
_
t
x
_
o
k

So I assume everything works well. My only problem is that I can’t find my message back on the REST API. I’m trying to find it using: http://thethingsnetwork.org/api/v0/nodes/{node_eui}/

But whatever I fill in for the node_eui, I can’t find my messages. I noticed that all the messages displayed in thethingsnetwork.org/api/v0/nodes/ only contain 8 digits, while the EUI I got returned from the RN2483 has 16, but even only using the last or first 8 doesn’t work.

Can someone tell me how to find my messages based on the above info?

I assume you have a gateway nearby?

You should look for 02012400 in the API.

node_eui is a mislabeling in the database, it should be changed toi devaddr.

Hope it works!

I have the same issue, I can’t see anything from the node. I have an active gateway few meters away, I get:

Battery: 3294
EUI: 0004A30B001A5BAE
accepted

When button is pressed:

Sending: ok

m
a
c
_
t
x
_
o
k

but I see nothing in the API

I have registered a block and set the devaddrr to: 02012200

I set adr to off and type to unconfirmed, which were not the default in the sketch (a bit silly to provide it with non-compliant settings).

BTW, our gateway is: 1DEE0B765AB9BE4D

Are you connected to a gateway?

The “join: ok accepted” message unfortunately does -not- tell you, if you have connected to a gateway.

for testing purposes you can also use iot.semtech.com port 1680/1680 and then see if it shows up here:
http://iot.semtech.com/gateways/

I’m also experimenting with www.loriot.io .For now it looks to be the only one who supports confirmed messages.
Problem with them is that every transmission includes a frame counter, and after modifying the sketch or reconnecting power, the frame counter is set to zero, and messages do not show up anymore.

When I run the poly pkt forwarder manually and press the button, I immediately see PUSH_ACK at least, so that would suggest I have a connection.

I do see some CRC errors there though:

[UPSTREAM]
RF packets received by concentrator: 3
CRC_OK: 33.33%, CRC_FAIL: 66.67%, NO_CRC: 0.00%
RF packets forwarded: 1 (16 bytes)
PUSH_DATA datagrams sent: 6 (1161 bytes)
PUSH_DATA acknowledged: 66.67%

But at least one messages seems to have gone through, but still nothing showing on the API side.