What to buy to get started

Hello greetings to all … In the context of ttn to tts, I want your help from the specific devices to have a sender, a gateway, and a receiver, so that, from the ttn, I can send a message to the receiver or an action for an actuator …

I have had some experience with ESP32s and SX1276 with node-to-node links … but I have not been able to create a gateway …

I have decided to “start from scratch” due to this change to tts, that is why I ask for help with the ideal components so as not to have problems when registering the gateway.

In advance, infinitely grateful for your help with specific makes and models

There are multiple posts across the forum on what to buy to get started, try a search …

As your post had nothing to do with migrating TTIG’s, I’ve moved it to a new topic.

There are a few components to consider - an lots of post on each.

1. Gateways - Where do you want to deploy your nodes, are there existing gateways covering the area. If not, do you need to install new or do you add to the community and add your own? There is a API available to get this information (API for gateway mapping)

2. Nodes - Do you you build your own or do you buy commercially available nodes. Plenty of information on these with a small search.

3. Build your own application to display your data and take actions of then there are commercial applications. Lots of options.

4. What do you want to monitor, measure, track etc. What do you want to do?

But just read this to start.

Or perhaps for v3, this - I’ll push for more clarity on the linking to the old & new versions!

The main page actually takes you to V2 and see the links are broken on the link you posted if you select the links to devices, gateway or anything it is page 404. But getting started works.

Read this it is V3 docks

I know, that’s why I posted the link to the v3 docs.

I know, I still have a Github issue outstanding to either fix the links or to remove the link - but the menu works and so do the buttons in the text blocks.

I see a some following this link (I just did it) not realizing that you end up at discontinued (or just about) V2

As my Italian friend would say “It’s a mess!”

@JavierTGoldie ref

I would advocate getting a gateway anyhow - they are not expensive these days and readily available and if you are serious about trying LoRaWAN and TTN it’s a no brainier - as you are then helping expand coverage & network capacity in your area and also if developing/adapting your own nodes, and even if test deploying commercial off the shelf nodes, then I would concur with Nick’s @descartes oft stated view that you really should have access to your own gw for ready access to logs etc for troubleshooting and so on.

go for it!

…just don’t even think of repurposing one of your old nodes from LoRa point to point use cases as a SCPF… these are not supported on TTN :wink:

Hi !

IMHO to start V3 with some ‘comfort’ , you may buy :

-TTIG gateway (even your aera is covered yet, acces to your gateway in V3 console helps débuging devices) TTIG set up is fast and easy with this doc : https://www.thethingsindustries.com/docs/gateways/thethingsindoorgateway/

-one of boards listed here : https://github.com/lnlp/LMIC-node/blob/main/README.md#21-lora-development-boards.

Then you may use LMIC.node , good application for beginners : https://github.com/lnlp/LMIC-node

In may case after 2 years running V2 with home made 1channel ‘gateway’( w TTGO Lora V1) , starting V3 TTS was easy with a brand new TTIG-868, some TTGO Lora_V1 boards, the V3 doc and this forum :grinning:

+LMIC.node application and/or exemples from this MCCI LMIC V4 library

1 Like