Can nodes send data to each other through a gateway?

Sounds nice. I’m a totally newbie of network thing, may I know is it multiple nodes enable to communicate/send data to another RFM95 through the gateway?

Simple answer: No.

More elaborate answer:
The LoRa(WAN) protocol is designed around a star typology, so each node communicates with a gateway(s).

So in theory you should be able to

• send a message from node A to the gateway;
  • the GW relays the message to the backend;
  • your application which is connected to the backend receives the message, and reads it: “ow I should relay this to Node B”
  • application sends a downlink message for Node B to the backend,
  • backend queues the message to be send after contact
  • node B contacts the gateway after a own uplink (Class A) or at certain times (Class B) or Continuous (Class C)
  • Node B receives message from gateway…

As you see it’s a big process with lots of If’s and but’s.
E.g you are limited in the use of downlink messages.
TTN at the moment only support Class A devices; so Node B needs to proactively ask the gateway if there is something waiting for him. Which costs airtime and battery-life
etc etc

In short: this is not the protocol or wireless solution you are looking for.
You are better served with a mesh-kind of network typology with accomponying protocol.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. One more noob question, what if the case of multiple uplinks to a downlink through LoraWan single channel gateway?

LoRaWAN 1.1 now has support for Class A, B, and C devices, peering, microservice architecture and tighter integration of Gateways.

• unneccesary topic kicking