Antenna length for 868 and 433 MHz

I think you missunderstand … I cannot think of a way of missconfiguring even a raw LoRa module, RFM9x or DRF128xF so that it performs so badly. I have played with LoRa devices at a low level, node to node, a great deal in the last 3 years, and every time I have seen very short range (20m or less) it has been due to no antennas or faulty modules.

The RN2483 does much of the low level LoRa configuration for you, so I cannot see how it is possible to configure it for extreme short range.

The Things Network does use the RN2483 for nodes, but not in node to node configuration or via Tera Terminal, so this is not the best place to ask questions for your particular application.

absolutely

maybe have a look at this application so you can easyier set the radio module over UART

thank you so much

Can you post a picture of the RN2483 modules used, plus details of how the antennas are connected? I’m sort of suspecting bad connections.

So what Adafruit recommends below is wrong? Would it be advisable to go for 8.6 cm length antenna instead of 8.2 cm?

No they are right. You have to apply the velocity factor of arround .95.
86mm multiplied with 0.95 gives 82mm.

3 Likes

This might be an old topic but in regards to the cable question I could not resist to reply, the cable is a very important part of any antenna setup as well, as coax cable has the unfortunate property of having loss of (Db) in regards of length en frequency, this is called the skin effect, every coax cable has it’s own attenuation properties so you cannot connect any length of cable to an antenna setup as this can result in to much loss resulting the receiver not being as sensitive as you wish so: for 50 ohm RG58C/U Coax Cable the loss on frequency 806-960 MHz and a length of 30.5 meters (100ft) will be 18.2 Db if you take a length of 3.5 meter of the same cable the loss will be 1.82 Db and a length of 0.35 meter will be 0.182 Db I hope this helps for those who are playing with Antennas etc
a nice reference sheet for various coax cable see link below:
http://rfelektronik.se/manuals/Datasheets/Coaxial_Cable_Attenuation_Chart.pdf
73’s
Mark