Any STM32WLx-based modules with RoHS and CE?

Then why aren’t they all ticked for RoHS as soon as they’re added to the table? The RoHS box is unticked. They’re literally saying that module is not RoHS compliant. Again with the benefit of the doubt over evidence, to the extent that you really want to call people out on not doing likewise.

I wasn’t keen about anything, I can touch type, maybe the verbosity makes it seem like I slave over posts for hours - I’m just saying I know that they are RoHS compliant but no, I can’t give you a link - there’s nothing particularly odd about that, not all information is at the end of a public link.

And in that respect, Murata have a loverly closed door policy - you can’t get the tech details until you’ve got a code for them to manually authorise so you have to buy the product before you know what it can actually do. And before you ask, no links, sharing the data sheet is prohibited. Footprint is different but it’s pretty close to the ABZ.

The absence of the tick doesn’t mean it isn’t - a cross would imply that it isn’t.

You asked for alternatives to the STM32WL, as a matter of course I end up with most dev/eval kits so I know what’s around, but I can’t fix vendors websites for you - you’ll have to ask them to fill in the blanks - they are mostly staffed by humans who are fallible, so assuming the worst is painting yourself in to a corner.

Nick, I think we are just very different people. Best of luck with your work.

2 Likes

Luckily situation has improved just recently in terms of availability for 1SJ module. A better module for sure.

Hi everyone,

just plugging-in here with another RF module suggestion which uses STM32WL in its core and it’s called MAMWLE-C1.
It is currently available on Mouser, but a bit on the pricey side compared to LoRa-E5 and RAK3172.

I’ve designed a simple Feather breakout for it which can be used as a reference design. Let me know if you need more details on that.

Cheers!

If you scan through the thread above you’ll see that the OP needs links on the website for the CE & RoHS certification, that was the crux of the matter.

1 Like

Thanks for highlighting this Nick;
A quick check on the mouser link and the company’s website (MAMWLExx Module – Move Solutions) shows both RoHS and CE compliance so all good here.

Thanks for the good suggestion @cndrxn !

Matt

1 Like

All of these, even if sold with a modem-ish firmware flashed are actually fully (re)programmable MCUs though it’s been pointed out that some don’t expose a lot of I/O’s and the vendor may not do much to actively support original firmware development.

The 1SJ has essentially the same processor core as the CMWX1ZZABZ so really the only things that change are the radio driver code and the specific GPIOs / SPI / I2C / UART etc available on various pins. The STM32WLx is a distinct MCU core but code should be relatively forward portable with broadly similar HAL interfaces in many aspects, but not all - the flash features are substantially different (no bank swap bit) and there’s no EEPROM