Basics Station LoRa gateway on RPi + RAK2245 and balena

It could be. If I connect the same RAK831 to RPi 0 hat, it works. So RAK831 definitely works. But all those combinations worked well on v2 with packet forwarder.
In one working case and three not-working cases I’m using this RPi 3B+ hat with RAK831: GitHub - IRNAS/ttn-irnas-gw: LoraWAN gateway with RAK831/iC880A and Raspberry Pi Zero W for TheThingsNetwork

Let me clarify @Roberto69

It works with basicstation repo on pi zero + pi hat + RAK831 but it doesn’t work on Pi3+ + pi hat + RAK831 with the same configuration on RESET_PIN and others?

1 Like

And could you please share all the logs (from the start of the service) here?

Marc, I will check again and write down. Did you mean log in this form?tts_gw_intima-gw-5000-01-04.08.21_16_47_21_(+0200).txt (42.6 KB)

@gy4nt so far it seems it is stupid error. After upgrade from packet forwarder in v2 to basic station (your Balena image GitHub - mpous/basicstation: LoRa Basics™ Station - The LoRaWAN Gateway Software) in v3, two RPi hats doesn’t work anymore. Is it possible basic station drains more current than packet forwarder? I know it is stupid but anyway - I have no other reasonable explanation … one RAK831&RPi3B+ works even after migration, but occasionaly receiving error in Balena “undervoltage”. Before migration I’ve never seen this error. The other two doesn’t start. If I use RAK2245 (without a RPi hat) it starts without any problem.
I’ve tested two RAK831 on Rpi 0 with packet forwarder in v2 and it works. It seems my RPi hats with PoE are on the limit. If I powering over PoE, undervoltage is present most of the times, but if I powering directly with 5V PSU, there is no undervoltage warning. Despite using 5V PSU, two concentrators doesn’t start with two RPi hats.
I have to find out new RPi hat, test it and then I can make final conclusion.
It would be fine if you’ll make GitHub - mpous/basicstation: LoRa Basics™ Station - The LoRaWAN Gateway Software for Raspberry Pi 0 also. Sure, if it wouldn’t take you to much time.

1 Like

I agree. From HW perspective is clear, but I’ve never managed to put RAK831 in work with this settings. As long as I know, settings are:
SPI_SPEED (down to 2000000; I’ve changed to lower also, but the only results is, console couldn’t show all messages)
BALENA_HOST_CONFIG_core_freq 250
BALENA_HOST_CONFIG_dtoverlay pi3-miniuart-bt

Is it possible, problems with SPI communication arise when using basic station? My RAK831 with the same RPi hat started every time with packer forwarder, but now with basic station not

@Roberto69 one question, did you register to TTS the gateway with EUI b827ebfffed3c6ee? Could you please do it and see if it still give the same error?

This question solved the problem :+1:

Hi @gy4nt, thank you for your help. The problem was in RPi3B+/RAK831 hat. I have no idea why worked before migration and after migration no more. In next days I will test with Dupont wires instead of using hat.
Yes, EUI b827ebfffed3c6ee belongs to my test RPi3B+. My final conclusion is, every RAK and RPi works, as long as they are not connected with hats. Even RPi0 works with every RAK831 in v2, but it uses different hat. Not to mention, RAK2245 has no problems as it is connected directly to RPi.

At the end even RPi0 works, but in v2. Balena image for basic station and RPi0 in v3 will be appreciated. Open question remains, why these problems arise after migration. In case you would like to check more circumstances, please let me know. Still have two GWs on the table :wink:

@Roberto69 register the gateways and introduce the TC_URI and they should work!

@gy4nt, RPi3 + RAK2245 works fine. When I change RAK2245 with RAK831, concentrator not starts.

My question is, is there any limit or problem if I want to change concentrator and keep RPi and all the settings and parameters (including TC_URI) the same? Can I exchange concentrators without any changes?

Main reason for a conc card not starting is usually incorrect reset pin…don’t have a 2245 or the time to go read doc and check…a job for you!..but my 1st stop would be see if there is a difference in pin mapping for the conc reset line then if so adjust in s/w config…

2nd most common problem on a Pi is probably the bus speed as I posted above…did you check/adjust that? I seem to recall some RAK designs introduced a level shifter (not needed per some posts?) that then slowed interface down drastically forcing e.g. SPI changes…

Another update just read back up posts and see you did try change but was that set for 2245 or the 831?

1 Like

@Jeff-UK, definitely! The only objection to this fact is, RAK831 sometimes work with wrong settings also as you can see here (my first RAK831):
But my second RAK831 starts only with right settings:
Anyway, thanks to @gy4nt and @Jeff-UK - you’ve pointed me into right direction!

1 Like

Would also like to use a Zero with my ch2i shield for the RAK831. I found some hints to add Rpi as target but i still get build errors.

1 Like

@gy4nt your help would be appreciated

Let me know if you can introduce Pi Zero as a target on basicstation @huberse that would be a nice PR for the project :slight_smile:

Perhaps it could run your new Docker image of the Stack as well? :grin:

a first success and just FYI - I’m not a developer … i can only RTFM :wink:

[main] Successfully built 856258247ea9
[Info] Uploading images
[Success] Successfully uploaded images
[Info] Built on arm06
[Success] Release successfully created!
[Info] Release: 3d342e033ef4be311664bed7ac971982 (id: 1901370)
[Info] ┌─────────┬────────────┬───────────────────────┐
[Info] │ Service │ Image Size │ Build Time │
[Info] ├─────────┼────────────┼───────────────────────┤
[Info] │ main │ 232.03 MB │ 2 minutes, 46 seconds │
[Info] └─────────┴────────────┴───────────────────────┘
[Info] Build finished in 4 minutes, 36 seconds

i needed to add to setup.gmk

• ARCH.corecell.rpi = arm-linux-gnueabihf
  • ARCH.rpi.rpi = arm-linux-gnueabihf

seems a problem to push it from Windows due to some local permission issues, so i did it on linux.
It deploys and is starting. Interestingly, it always tries to reset on pin 11 - regardless if i change the variable for the device or the whole fleet

[TTN Gateway]: Resetting concentrator on pin 11

looking to deploy a complete new device as it also will not update the host os. Will let you know

UPDATE : It’s all up and running. Pi Zero | ch2i | RAK831
created a new device with latest OS and now all variables are correctly taken, GW is connected

3 Likes

That’s super awesome @huberse looking forward to see your PR in the repo :slight_smile:

Hi Marc.

I already deploy it to my RAK2245 and works fine.

I also have a couple of questions:
This basic station support a GPS configuration?
Can I get the location of my Gateway and send it to TTS?

Thank you very much.

Alvaro.