Big LoRa32u4 boards topic

Are you using the Arduino IDE?

If so you would be using a LoRa library like LMIC, here’s an example https://github.com/mcci-catena/arduino-lmic

@amina Do you mean a true LoRaWAN compliant gateway?
Or do you mean a single channel packet forwarder (SCPF) which are often incorrectly called ‘single channel gateway’?

For your information: SCPF are not LoRaWAN compliant and are not supported on this forum.

If you do not understand what a LoRa(WAN) library is then how do you want to make your LoRa32u4 node communicate via LoRaWAN with The Things Network?

This is essential LoRaWAN information. It appears that you will probably have to read and learn a bit more about LoRaWAN first.

the gateway I created is based on raspberry and lora gps hut module, then the connection is done from lora and the message is received in things networke, and the gateway is connected to the same site (things network)

so i don’t have eny idea about how i make my LoRa32u4 node communicate via the geteway the gateway I created
and i well search about lora(wan) library

That does not answer the question if your gateway is a proper LoRaWAN compliant gateway or not.
“lora gps hat module” does not provide much information, which module and what gateway software have you installed?

I don’t think so. You appear to have not even read the start post of this topic where it is clearly explained what library and which sketches can be used to get the board working with The Things Network.

Follow the guidance as described in the start topic. If you need additional help then ask targeted questions and provide sufficient information.

1 Like

bsfrance.fr site no longer available

The web site of BSFrance is not available for many months already (shows ‘502 bad gateway’ error). It looks like the shop may no longer be in (online) business.

BFrance designed the BSFrance LoRa32u4 (ATmega32u4) and LoRaM3-D (STM32) LoRa boards. The boards are produced by DIYmall which still sells the BSFrance LoRa32u4 boards.

:thinking: Anyone tried emailing or phoning to see?

contact@bsfrance.fr ; 0430 07 3000

Hi all,
It seems I missed a few posts in this thread, oops! If you want to contact me feel free to drop me an email at marco@juniorIOT.nl

Just wanted to let you know I have put my somewhat older guide online. This is from when I wanted to bring this project online as an instructional guide. I am sure some details are still a bit off, but feel free to have a look at it.
I do realize my guide still refers to the code in a folder on your local drive, I assume you can manage to pick up rhe code from our github and put it in the desired path for your Arduino IDE.

Use your preferred translator for this one: https://junioriot.nl/bouw-je-gps-tracker/

If you guys want to use this we can work together to update this instruction and make it work for all of you.

It looks like the Lora32u4 is still available on aliexpress: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32832789857.html

Regards,
Marco

hello, i have a problem while uploading a code to the raduino for the lora32u4 card, i installed their driver and i also installed a suitable library with the card but even if our arduino software can’t read or know this card they are showing me the message “Cannot find a card on the selected port.” I tried all this in another pc but same result and first I have the project of study affin, then I will be ablogatory to work on the catre lora32u4 by what I have no other means to the material, can you help me please

It will be helpful to provide more details about your configuration.

Do you have any experience with Arduino?

What operating system are you using?
Have you checked if the operating system can see the card as USB device.?, as serial port?

Which board have you selected in the Arduino IDE (Boards Manager) ?
Did you see the option to select a serial port? What ports are selectable?

yes, we have already applied several projects on arduino, and we are also studying the programming of c ++ from arduino, yes I have checked several times that the lora32u4II card is properly sectioned in the usb port of the cable, and in arduino software they are showing me that the port is well selected, the card that I selected in arduino IDE (boards manager) is adafruit fathear 32u4, but even if all I received the same message (impossible to find the card sectioned , and thanks so much for you attention in my message

What to do, if I connect a battery to the lora32u4 board and I want to turn it off ?

This is turn OFF, wake up only with interrupt.

#include <avr/sleep.h>
#include <avr/power.h>
set_sleep_mode(SLEEP_MODE_PWR_DOWN);
ADCSRA = 0; // turn off ADC
power_all_disable (); // power off ADC, Timer 0 and 1, serial interface
sleep_enable();
sleep_cpu();
sleep_disable();
power_all_enable();

Thanks goes to Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : Power saving techniques for microprocessors

What exactly do you mean with “I want to turn it off”?

UPLOADING ISSUES> I have been using the Adafruit boards for some time now and recently ordered two of these BSFrance boards as cheaper replacements. I appear to have v1.4 (I see no mention of that here.) The board is being recognised on my virtual com ports but nothing will upload. I am useding IDE 1.8.13 on Windows 10. I am trying to upload in the same way I did with the original Adafruit board, using the Adafruit Feather 32u4 board and the Arduino ISP programmer, but it consistently fails. I have tried all sorts of combinations of the reset button too, but to no avail. I found files on github for the BSFrance board and followed online instructions to unzip them into a folder named Hardware in the Arduino folder - but I cannot find the BSFrance board in the IDE having done so. I have read and re-read posts here and extensively googlesd but cannot resolve. Can anyone help please? The error message I get is:

Version 1.4 of the board?
Where do you find the V1.4? Can you post some pictures?

It’s a long time ago that I used that BSFrance-avr repository with the Arduino IDE but if you place the contents of that repository in C:\users<your_username>\Documents\Arduino\hardware\BSFrance-avr folder then you should be able to find a “BSFrance AVR boards” section when you select Tools/board in the IDE.

What way?

Have you tried to press the reset button once or twice before uploading?

Be aware that some pin definitions in the board definition may be incorrect due to new revisions of the board (the board definition has not been updated for the latest revisions).

When using PlatformIO instead of Arduino IDE you can just select board lora32u4II (no need to manually install support for the board, PlatformIO does this automatically).
For PlatformIO the same holds as for the Arduino IDE. Some of the pin definitions may be incorrect for your version of the board (as described in the topic start).

Hi, And thanks for your reply. Sorry for my delay.

Attached are pics of the board purporting to be Version 1.4 - the version number is on the face of the board down in the bottom right, next to the RF board.

I have tried putting the extracted BSFrance folder in the place you describe, there was not a Hardware folder, so I created one, but the board does not show up. In my setup I also have a folder called …documents/ArduinoData. In there is a folder called packages, and in that are similar files (avr etc) for adafruit and esp8266. | have copied the BSFrance folder into that as well, but the boards does not show, cant figure out what i am doing wrong. Re-reading your reply, you say put the contents of the BSFrance folder into the Hardware folder. I wonder if that means I should remove the BSFrance folder leaving just the contents??

As to loading in the normal way, I have tried loading as the Adafruit board using the ArduinoIDE and Arduino ISP programmer, and have tried multiple configurations of pressing the reset button, in terms of number of times, and the timing of doing so, all to much frustration.

Thanks for the tips about the pins - I will check that out if I ever get it working!!

I have never used Platform IO - I am a bit loathed to change from the Arduino IDE because of the variety of boards I use, but I am also fairly ignorant about it so it deserves more research, that might be a way forward if nothing else works.

I assume that I am on of the first to recieve something labelled v1.4 then?

Thanks.!
Just been told, as a new user, I can only upload one photo! I will reply again with more…
BSFrance1

Another photo
BSFrance2

And another…
BSFrance4

Your images didn’t fit so I resized them. Now it is possible to see the V1.4 on the board.
When adding an image to a post, it will not be automatically resized (which is an issue in the forum software) but you have the possibility to scale it to 50%, 75% or 100% (below the image, in the editing pane on the right). With ‘right-click / open image in new tab’ the image can be viewed in full size.

Are you aware that you have a 410-525 MHz version of the board and not a 868/915 MHz?
This also explains the V1.4. As far as I’m aware the latest version of the 868/915 MHz boards is V1.3.

Arduino ISP is a 6-pin SPI based interface to flash a bootloader onto an Arduino or flash a sketch without a bootloader. The LoRa32u4 has a USB port which is programmed via USB serial (using the onboard bootloader). I’m not sure why you mention the ISP programmer here.

That would be a good reason to use PlatformIO (once you are used to it you probably don’t want to switch back). Just have a look at the platforms, frameworks and boards it supports, and not to forget with VSCode (Visual Studio Code) you get a modern professional editor (Arduino IDE’s editor is no comparison). PlatformIO IDE runs as a VSCode plugin.