Building LoRa packets on Seeeduino LoRaWAN (or similar)

Hi, for my research I am required to build LoRa packets manually.

However, currently on my Seeeduino LoRaWAN I can only alter the application layer, as the transferPacket() function in the LoRaWAN library simply writes a payload to the serial link. This only allows me to alter the payload, but not anything else on the PHY layer or MAC Payload.

Is it possible to flash the Seeeduino in such a way that I can manually alter the packets? Is there any other hardware capable of doing this? I’ve read about software defined radios (SDR), but they seem to be mainly used for detecting LoRaWAN traffic.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure which level you need to get down to, however: if you want to build packets from scratch, you should start from LoRa and not LoRaWAN. Looking at Seeduino documentation, I would suggest to look at P2P mode (the tx example) (NB: not sure because I do not know this platform, but others have similar LoRa only functionality). You have to build and send the LoRaWAN header, plus your payload. There is some further thing to be careful about (encryption at first, but since you are a cybersecurity student, you know more than me :slight_smile: ).
While maybe even too extreme, this Attiny85 implementation could be of help (because not using LMIC).