Custom boards based on LoRa-E5 and RAK3172

Nice!

It would be interesting to test if higher capacity capacitors (e.g. 1000 uF) would make a difference (but they do have a larger footprint).

Another possible coin cell candidate is CR2477 with 67% more capacity than CR2450. I have no experience with these though.

@bluejedi yes got some CR2477 also from ruuvi tags was my idea to test. For now got soldered 2x330uF + 1x100uF not so far from 1000uF :slight_smile:

ok guys, we can follow the over consumption issue there, matching, of course but needed firmware configuration also. Thanks to RAK team

2 Likes

From the RAK forum:

it appears the power consumption should be 45.5mA for the HP PA at 14dBm when optimized for 14dBm, but 92mA when optimized for 22dBm. It would only be 23.5mA if the RAK3172 could connect the LP PA rather than the HP PA.

So the RAK3172 module design is actually flawed for 14 dBm operation, making it use twice as much (45.5 mA) current than what would be possible (23.5 mA) with the STM32WLE5CC chip?

Yes for twice, and no for numbers.
At 14dBm it should have a consumption of 45mA and it has 90mA because FW does not take into account the design choice of RFO_HP only (which by the way is a smart idea to reduce BOM and PCB size) and that the same with Seeed LoRa-E5. Both have taken ST base code without changing it for this specific feature.
RAK is now working on it and will release an update soon I think. I posted on seeed forum also and in the meanwhile I made a PR to fix that for mbed-os

My suspicion is that with default AT FW for both of these boards we are much higher than 14dBm power but I have no idea how to measure that (except that my RSSI looks very low for EU868) So if anyone has material to check that, I would be interested to know because Seeed claims CE/RED certification for this module.

Was aware of that. :wink:

However mintenj mentioned:

Which the RAK3172 cannot because they don’t provide LP PA on the module.

For BOM and PCB size this may be smart but if this means using 45.5 mA instead of 23.5 mA that would be possible if it would have supplied LP PA (RFO_LP or whatever its exact name) that means it uses twice as much power (45.5 mA) than what would have been possible with the STM32WLE55 chip. From battery operation perspective that would be a design flaw because using some 100% more power than necessary (if I understand correctly).

ahah you beat me, I didn’t even noticed this very interesting line in the datasheet in green below

Yes I think it’s correct with optimized hardware it should be possible and yes it’s a design flaw for EU868 in this case. Would be interesting to have though from @elsalahy and @cndrxn of generic node team

1 Like

I got caught out by the high power consumption of the LoRa-E5 as well. I’m working on a solar-powered air quality monitor and originally designed it to make use of the RN2483, but as they’re out of stock until 2022 I redesigned it to use the LoRa-E5.

When I got the boards everything went fine until I tried to transmit a message, when everything would reset. I realised it’s probably a power issue, as the LDO regulator I was using (H7333-A) delivers a maximum output current of 250mA. I’m driving both the LoRa-E5 and a MDBT42Q (nRF52832 BLE module) from the same regulator, which in theory should work, as the max power consumption is now 92mA and 12mA respectively, but decided to replace the LDO regulator with a 500mA one and it then worked just fine.

@Charles I found your SeeedStudio forum post but I see there’s no response yet. And also no response on their GitHub repo either :confused: Looks like I should’ve got with RAK Wireless instead, as it appears like they actually want to fix the problem.

1 Like

Thank you, @Charles. Your boards looks awesome.
It is indeed the very reason why we’ve implemented both HP and LP RF paths on the Generic Node. In most of the use cases +14 dBm (LP) output is more than enough and it provides huge energy savings.

FYI, there’s another STM32WL module available from Move Solutions and it’s called MAMWLE-C1. It’s a bit pricier, but breaks out all the available GPIOs and has support for both LP and HP RF outputs.

A while back I’ve designed a Feather breakout for it:

1 Like

Thanks @cndrxn , good to know, would be interested to have some Penguino for testing, let me know how if you know.

BTW I ordered 2 Generic Node, did you had a chance to confirm approx 25mA at 14dBm EU868 ?

Cool - will these appear on Tindie? Would be super useful if the SAMR34 & the RAK4260 boards were available, first one I’d definitely need populating - there is stock on Microchip Direct but having started on a design to use the more small-manufacturer-friendly WLR089U those are now on Oct '22!

:+1: for making boards availble (Tindie!?)

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve soldered couple of MAMWLE Penguinos recently, and yes @descartes they will be available on Tindie soon. I’m having hard time finding some parts to prepare more RAK4260 versions.

@Charles, GN runs at +2.8V therefore the current consumption will be slightly higher. We’re seeing ~35mA @+14dBm on VDDRF, and you always have the possibility to switch to HP output for longer range (US only).

It was the SAMR34 that most interests me as I can get them at present.

How do you manage to place the BGA?

With my shaky hands it takes couple of tries while holding my breath :grinning:. It’s not too hard if you have good solder paste application. I’m using laser-cut and electropolished steel stencil.
SAMR34 version will be available at limited numbers then EOL.

1 Like

Hi Gerrit, I suspect your LoRa-E5 is not the main culprit regarding the power consumption. I also use the LoRA-e5 in a solar powered air quality monitoring systems and the LDO I use is also limited to 250mA. I have lots of these units deployed in the field. In my case I monitor CO, CO2, O3, SO2, NO2, particulate sizes, VOCs, temperature and RH, drive an OLED, status LEDS etc. All sensors are sampled simultaneously (therefore worst current consumption). None of these units have any dropout problem. Perhaps you had a faulty LDO or output capacitor on the output of the LDO?

That’s definitely possible, or the HT7333-A doesn’t meet the specs in its datasheet. I’ve swapped the LDO out for a 500mA one on two boards now, but will experiment with other boards that still have the 250mA one in place.

Can you share more details on your solar powered air quality monitoring system? Mine is still a work-in-progress, but I’ve already open-sourced it here: GitHub - OpenAirMonitor/OpenAirMonitor: Main repo for the OpenAirMonitor

The product was developed as part of a geographically dispersed system for monitoring Wildland Fires and for studying the effects of fires on communities. The background of it is here in this blog: https://www.brushelectronics.com/blog/ and the resulting commercial product is here: thingy.us

There are a few different options for presenting the data, managed, unmanaged, some hosted, some not. This graphic is from a unmanaged site in Western Australia that is hosted on customers own hardware. For confidentiality reasons I edited the graphic and removed some gauges, as well as status and location information. Capture

3 Likes

Looks remarkable like a Dunsborough profile to me :wink:

Dunsborough yes, but the location is not specific enough to identify the property where the node is deployed.