Dragino LPS8 Indoor LoRaWAN Gateway Antenna

Hi there,
i am also using a LPS8 in north Germany and would like to place the antenna outside. But what about lightning protection? The pole in your picture looks very lightning attractive…

Possibly, though there are much higher points around me. The TV/Satelite antennas there before it had no lightning protection either and seemed to survive alright.

Worst case scenario is the LPS8 gets toasted, but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem!

Whats the LPS8 connected to ?

A 5v Apple USB charger, which is fused. It’s using WiFi to send data back to the things network so I don’t see this as much of a risk.

For the ones that are interessted:
Dragino LPS8 - with BLG-AN-040 mounted on 5 meters above ground.
dragino

Wow nice! are you in an urban area?

No it’s on the country side a lot of farmers around the gateway. :smile:

Ahah it help! I am interessted in this antenna too

1 Like

Do you know what is the power output of the LPS8? I don’t find this information in the datasheet

Really? From the Datasheet:

:slight_smile:

Can you send me the link? I don’t have it in mine:

That is the manual, @Jeff-UK refers to the data sheet.

Oh yes I found the “datasheet”

Much more a product overview rather than a datasheet… Anyway I have my answer thank you for your help!

I agree… what we used to call a product brief vs datasheet (with emphasis on brief!) :wink:

Similar results here, 6km has been my longest contact so far, which was from a couple of high points. Considering my position in a valley, this is pretty good!

https://ttnmapper.org/gateways/?gateway=eui-8eef8eef8eef8eef&startdate=&enddate=&gateways=on&lines=on&points=on

Hey Guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while now. I’m brand new to LoraWAN, messing with Dragino products only(LPS-8 gateway). I always wanted a way to track my car’s whereabouts in the city using GPS and had a lot of issues until I stumbled upon your convo on outdoor antenna’s.

Once I got the aforementioned 3.0dB outdoor, i was up and rolling pretty good.
IMG-0210 (1)

I still really only see accurate gps data (using Dragino LGT-92) out to 2 -3 Philadelphia city blocks(at max -118dBm), likely due to interference, but its neat. You never know when the parking authority will tow your car around here. Now i can get an alert :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having exactly the same setup. LPS8 with the 3dbi antenna from dragino works like a charm! :+1::signal_strength:

1 Like

My LPS8 is getting warm - so i decidet to drill some holes in the case.
Yours is now additionally covered in a box - and maybe in direct sunlight. It could be an idea to place a thermometer in the box too, to watch what is going on when it is hot outside.

This is the reason why I use a LIG16 now. It consumes only 1.3W instead of 4W as the LPS8 does.

Thanks, thats not a bad idea. I have some raspberry pi zero’s lying around with temp probes that i could use to monitor. Any idea if the LPS-8 reports its temperature anywhere in the dashboard? There is certainly not much ventilation in that box i used.