Dragino LPS8 Indoor LoRaWAN Gateway Antenna

I’m not sure, but imho Dragino LPS8 uses SMA and not RP-SMA. I can not verify it yet, if I remember right I ordered a cable with SMA-male connector.

Hoping they release basic station firmware for this. Cracking little gateway!

Do you buy your antennas on Aliexpress or do you have another website? I am looking for a place in Canada but I didn’t found anything except Roboshop, Digikey and Mouser…
Shipping is expensive on Aliexpress and if I bought US I will pay customs fees…

What do you think about this antenna?
https://www.nearson.com/antennas/sg1019nm-915-base-station-antenna-902-928-mhz-5-dbi-gain

I don’t know the company but it looks serious…

According to datasheet this antenna should be a 1/2 lambda antenna. imho a 1/2 lambda dipole has a gain of 2.1dBi and not 5dBi.
But this antenna is much to long for a 1/2 lambda. I think there is something wrong with the datasheet.

I asked to the manufacturer and he confirms it’s a 5dbi antenna with ½ wave design.

He sent me the measurements (not for the good frequency…)

The VSWR looks good for 868 MHz. But VSWR and gain is not everything. Pay attention to the radiation diagram, it depends on the frequency you use. If you use an antenna outside its intended frequency-range it might happen that the antenna radiates “up into the sky”.

Well I received the radiation diagram from the manufacturer:

Not sure to understand everything but it looks good, not up into the sky like you said

IMG_1781

I just finished putting this up onto the roof, it’s the Interline Horizon 868 8V1 antenna, attached to the Dragino LPS8. There’s about 3 metres of cable and the Dragino sits in a waterproof box on the roof.

Already I’m receiving traffic I’ve never seen before with the Dragino inside, so it’s definitely made a big difference - can’t wait to drive around a bit with the TTNMapper to see what the reception is like. I’m in a bit of a valley so I don’t expect to get too amazing results, but hopefully I can now give coverage to the majority of the town I live in!

https://interline.pl/antennas/HORIZON-868-8V1

2 Likes

I have the same configuration but a little bit more cable. The LPS8 is installed under the roof. The advantage of the Interline- antenna is that it is selective and has a known radiation-pattern.

Yes! It was your mentioning of it which made me look at it - turned out to be a good price and available from a local retailer. The spec’s looked good and it seems well made, hopefully it will help me give great coverage to my local area, thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi there,
i am also using a LPS8 in north Germany and would like to place the antenna outside. But what about lightning protection? The pole in your picture looks very lightning attractive…

Possibly, though there are much higher points around me. The TV/Satelite antennas there before it had no lightning protection either and seemed to survive alright.

Worst case scenario is the LPS8 gets toasted, but I don’t think it’s going to be a problem!

Whats the LPS8 connected to ?

A 5v Apple USB charger, which is fused. It’s using WiFi to send data back to the things network so I don’t see this as much of a risk.

For the ones that are interessted:
Dragino LPS8 - with BLG-AN-040 mounted on 5 meters above ground.
dragino

Wow nice! are you in an urban area?

No it’s on the country side a lot of farmers around the gateway. :smile:

Ahah it help! I am interessted in this antenna too

1 Like

Do you know what is the power output of the LPS8? I don’t find this information in the datasheet