Hobby hardware in TTN

Greetings,

I was reading through the TTN docs, and stumbled upon the requirement for devices to be LoraWAN-certified to join. I’m looking into doing some hobby project with STM32WL, and it’s probably going to be just a few samples, and no budget for certification of course. Is there a legal/honest way to connect it to a TTN gateway?

Thanks,
Oytis

Look here:

Big STM32 boards topic - End Devices (Nodes) - The Things Network

and here

LMIC FOR STM32CubeMX in 15 minutes - End Devices (Nodes) / LMiC - The Things Network

No there isn’t. But not that is not because you can not use it with TTN but rather because LoRaWAN devices do not connect to a gateway (that is WiFi) but a device joins the network through a gateway.

The good news is that there are plenty of TTN users with uncertified devices using the network. TTN does understand you can’t certify hobbyist devices and does not expect you to do so. TTN does expect you to validate yourself that your firmware adheres to local regulations and to the TTN fair access policy (max 30 seconds uplink airtime a day and max 10 downlink messages including acknowledgements for confirmed uplink packets)

Thanks a lot, that makes sense, I’ll read up more on the fair use policy (and apparently LoRaWAN architecture too).