HowTo: Update RN2483 Firmware on 'The Things Node'

Hmm…haven’t seen anything unreliable than this Microchip tool…

The utility only works on Windows…on macOS and Linux it won’t display a file dialog to choose the HEX file…

On Windows though I get then after clicking Update Firmware:

Event Type: 4.Event Value: 0.Port Name: COM5
Event Type: 1.Event Value: 7.Port Name: COM5
Event Type: 1.Event Value: 11.Port Name: COM5
5503FD0055AA8081000001READ
5503FD0055AAC0C00000WRITE
WRITE
5503FD0055AAC0C00000WRITE_DONE
Event Type: 1.Event Value: 3.Port Name: COM5
Event Type: 4.Event Value: 0.Port Name: COM5
Event Type: 1.Event Value: 9.Port Name: COM5
Event Type: 1.Event Value: 11.Port Name: COM5
5503FD0055AAC0C0000001READ
Trying to Disconnect: RN Module 1
Disconnection Successful
No FED Selected by the user
In Bootloader Failure

And the node is gone…no way to reprogram the firmware anymore…

I agree. but even worse is, that it’s not worth the hassle of upgrading, because the TTN Node hardware will not run longer after the upgrade. its a total battery drainer POS.

Is this due to the Microchip module, the SparkFun AVR or the whole power management?

I am currently also evaluating the RS1xx sensor node…but this one wants a confirmation for each uplink message…haven’t had time to test their RM1xx modules.

Or which sensor node would you recommend for environmental measurements?

In the ‘Module’ menu select ‘Boot Loader Recover’ and your module should be available. For RN2483 (not A) modules the latest working firmware seems to be 1.0.3. (TTN products use the RN2483)

1 Like

Isn’t loriot.io expensive to use?
At least for the community version it woul dmean that I can’t use the RS1xx nodes as they require a downlink for sending the RTC data…

I use TTN due to the fact that in our country Swisscom is rather expensive…

I am currently very happy with the Laird RG186 gateway…no outages so far with the TTN setup…

Well the last time was happy with Microchip was with the 165x devices (o;

Wondering why TTN advertises their node with:

" All this is packaged in a matchbox-sized waterproof (IP54) casing with 3 AAA batteries to power it for months of usage."

because for most people the RN2483(A) works great … maybe use search a bit more, there’s a lot of interesting rn2483 info out there :sunglasses: