Industrial gateway for rural areas with poor cellular coverage

Thank you a lot
your answers have helped me a lot.
@Jeff-UK @cslorabox

You keep giving non-numeric answers that don’t help us help you.

So, is $250 too much, about right or, as that’s a pretty low number, you could run to $1,000?

What is the value to the village to know the lake level? How will the costs of each installation (hardware & time) be recovered?

1 Like

I am asking for your help but the problem is not the cost now. the problem is the feasibility of the project.
in fact me i thought to find a solution, to do its test for two or three lakes and then to scale it (here other things must come into play).

I thought that my analysis after the research I did that my idea should be feasible but because of your comments and especially that of @cslorabox who advised me not to invest in LoRaWAN equipment as long as I Didn’t find a solution to prove it, made me go back, do it slowly, and do some little testing or prototyping with the low cost components.

this is why I thought of ordering the dragino Lg308 and some sensors to see what will give and to be able to become more familiar with the LoRa / LoRaWAN technology.
@cslorabox the Chirpstack has good documentation but I haven’t seen its components.

the information will be exploited by those responsible for this sector.

Thank you @descartes

There are gateways you could run some tests with at $99 or you could buy a gateway for $1,800 and at numbers in between. The point of the question is to guide you towards buying something appropriate.

The ONLY definitive way to prove that a LoRa based solution is not a solution is to try it - so you will have to ignore the advice to not invest in the technology - if you don’t, you won’t be able to try it out.

Personally I think there are so many use cases for a LoRaWAN network to cover a village & surrounding area - monitoring livestock feed & water (or even location), soil moisture levels and so much more, that this is a bit of a no-brainer if it were fully fleshed out.

But if it is only going to be used monitor water level, then LoRaWAN would be money spent on tech that would be far more capable than the simpler LoRa P2P link that would be needed.

You understood well.
I am looking for the components to do a test with an affordable cost.

The objective of this topic was to offer me a gateway that is the most adaptable to the rural area according to your experiences and which works with the Things Network LoRaWAN Server and all other complementary components because I wanted to test the LoRa technology myself and then decide the implementation in place of this project at scale with the Things Network server LoRaWAN.

I fully agree with you.
this is what I really wanted to do, even if the solution does not achieve our objectives we can use the components for other use cases we lose nothing.

of course, if we set up an efficient LoRaWAN network we can use it for several areas:
for example,
-Know the real-time use of water, for example, if livestock uses this water, what is its consumption?

• can be used for agriculture
    -for the surveillance of the position of the cattle
    -maybe even to monitor the health of livestock.
    infinitely

what I think
if I am going to do a test for a single lake the LoRa P2P must be sufficient.
but if I want to do a test for six lakes away from each other I have to use the LoRaWAN and determine the location of the best suitable gateways to cover all six lakes.

What do you think?
And your proposal for the gateway?

Thank you very much for your collaboration @descartes
Thank you for all

I will happily make some recommendations but I’m not reformatting the lake co-ordinates for you:

Once you have done that, I’ll look at distances and sight lines for you.

Deal?

1 Like

lake 1: 16°33’30‘’N 9°36’50‘’W
Area ha: 900
lake 2: 15°86’30‘’N 9°01’70‘’W
area ha: 1500
lake 3: 15°50’80‘’N 9°81’70‘’W
area ha: 4000
lake 4: 15°74’90‘’N 9°65’90‘’W
area in ha: 1200
lake 5: 15°98’70‘’N 9°06’70‘’W
area ha: 1000
lake 6: 15°69’70’’N 9°48’30’’W
area ha: 500

these are the Gps coordinates of Kob where there are all these villages and lakes
Kob: 15°49′N 9°24′W

No. I need you to remove the spaces as per the example please:

You write:

15 ° 49 ′ 02 ″ north, 9 ° 24 ′ 39 ″ west

Google can’t cope with spaces so it should be:

15°49′02″N, 9°24′39″W

Just edit the above post

1 Like

or the coordinates of the first lake you saw.

I’ve already said that Lake Aleg is looking good for line of sight and distance with a small directional antenna on the device.

1 Like

yes I am doing that

you can see here

Arrgggghhhhhhh, where did the smart quotes come from for the minutes & seconds??

Lake 1 is 90km away!
Lake 2 has seconds at 70 …

Probably simpler for me to make some notes on desktop evaluation!